When you buy an oil filter......

Discussion in 'General Impreza WRX chat' started by Hedgecutter, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Hedgecutter

Hedgecutter Type RA Member

Would you expect the filter to have protective wrapping covering the internals?
    I've done my own oil changes for about 8 years, 2 to 3 changes a year, and have previously only used Subaru black jdm, or RCM, all of which have been sealed.
    The new performance filter I've just rejected was unwrapped, in a normal cardboard box with gaps, and had clear dust inside it.
    Would you have fitted it? Cheers

2. Chris__p

Chris__p V-Limited Member

I always use the subaru black filters over anything else, personally wouldnt have fitted it

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hedgecutter

Here it is; there was more dust in there originally. 20191107_144142.jpg

4. asperformance

asperformance Site Supporter

What make is it??

The 'best' all round filter there is is the BLACK Subaru JDM spec variant........the RCM was a step up but hasn't been available for years

Wouldn't personally pay for anything else although the K&N are decent

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hedgecutter

I've gone back to black jdm, Ayln. This is a K and N; Enginetuner fitted one this summer when they put the motor back in, and I fancied the ease of a "nutted" filter, whilst lying in a farm yard with the wind howling.
    I contacted K and N UK, who to be fair replied very quickly. They don't wrap their filters, which seems extraordinary given contamination risks . It would also prove to the customer that the part was new, not a return which was my first thought. However, they claimed their filters weren't wrapped anywhere in the world, which is clearly not the case given the amount of YouTube videos there are of them being unwrapped.
    Anyway, I wasted a sunny afternoon over it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. asperformance

asperformance Site Supporter

Checked our stock of K&N today and some do / some don't..............

Also always have JDM ones on their shelf as well as most other service parts / fluids......

• Like Like x 1
  7. AdamH

AdamH Type RA Member

STi pink for the win! :-;

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hedgecutter

Pink 3 times a year? Jesus.

9. Savage Bulldogs

Savage Bulldogs V-Limited Member

I used the k&n once but the one I got was much longer than the standard items, although it had a nut on the bottom (for ease of removal) . I was concerned that the extra length could possibly cause heatsoak, due to it sitting closer to the headers ? .

I've used mahle oil filters for the past 8yrs or so and although they're not wrapped, they've always been clean

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hedgecutter

Interesting......The UK distributor assured me twice by mail that they were never wrapped. I'll phone you next time and get the info and product from the horse's mouth!!

• Like Like x 1