V3 ESL, anyone use one, how do they drive??

alan burnett

Type RA Member
I looked at fitting on to my v2 sti asked Andy f about them and he didn’t recamend it says he has had lots of problems with them don’t no if it was just the ones for the v1and v2 models or all

asperformance

Site Supporter
Never had any issues at all apart from some slight comms issues with the very early software / boards long since rectified........

Not sure what AndyF has said or which era he referred to??

alan burnett

Type RA Member
I was askin him for my car what is a v2 sti and the reply Was for that model of esl that he found it had reliability issues

I am no expert on them or used one every thing I have read says thay are good

Scotty75

V-Limited Member
Forgot to mention i have a esl fitted to my v3 type r and mapped by Andy Forrest its all good with no issues gets driven every day .

Sleepless

Type RA Member
I too have an ESL Daughterboard, V3/4, on an MY98 V4 Type R.

I have been running mine now for about 2 years.

I fitted the daughterboard to the stock ECU and have since mapped it myself.

I have a PLX AFR wideband that I sync with my ESL logs.

I then use MegaLogViewerHD to analyse the data and make changes to the map.

I also have the Motorsport Pack (which required me sending the ECU to ESL for - what I can only imagine is a firmware upgrade - and once returned I was able to rewrite my previous tuning progress back to the ECU).

The progress you make before the motorsport pack upgrade, should be saved to your laptop and holds all your mapped values for your ECU, once the motorsport pack is added you have several other parameters now available to play with (map) which are the extra motorsport features.

Your previous settings(map) will need to be written back to the ECU, as ESL will write the standard ECU code(StockMap) when upgrading it to the motorsport pack; well this is how it was prepared for me.

Seeing as your pre-MSPack map has no idea of these new parameters it will only write the parameters it knows of, leaving any of the new features untouched (they stay as delivered by ESL), then you can re-save your entire ECU again but now containing all of your previous map settings AND the new MS parameters, from then on, you’re working with the entire array of parameters from basic to motorsport features.

I have also wired the A/L activation to my dash, on a discrete - but easy to access - button (latched, not momentary), and have also fitted the clutch switch so ‘FlatFootShifting‘ is now active all the time - as when do you ever not take your foot off the throttle pedal when changing gear - in normal driving scenarios(?), yet, when you want to FFS, it’s already waiting to assist!

Launch control is brilliant, there are settings to tweak for this too, so you can set it to your liking.

Yeah, it’s a great system, and the retained stock features like closed-loop lambda control and Subaru’s knock control strategy make it the perfect option for anyone wanting to start from a stock base and slowly tweak their way up to some big power!

All systems have - what can only be described as “characteristics”, and even my daily job has systems that come with “known issues” at each update, and yet you find a way to work with them, it’s what makes it a skill you acquire over time, from frequent use, and once you find a way to harness the functionality, you can achieve some very impressive goals!

Chris__p

V-Limited Member
I've got a v3 sti ra ecu with an esl board in it, hasn't got the motorpsort pack although you can get it retrofitted. I may sell if you don't have one already, I was holding out for if I get another impreza but not sure how that's going.

It was very good, used it on mine just to map for UK super as car was stock

Savage Bulldogs

V-Limited Member
Had my old v3uk mapped with esl by race dynamite... eml light after 3 days ,over fuelling so much the oil stunk of fuel after 2k miles and piston slap got worse .

Used the same 3 esl ECU on my forged replacement engine and had it mapped by simon roe (rip buddy) with a ait sensor fitted and it ran sweet mafless .

Now running linkg4x on the 94sti which now drives and idles much better than the previous apexi f.c .

I think ecus make a difference but so does your choice of mapper

VCPD

V-Limited Member
I too have an ESL Daughterboard, V3/4, on an MY98 V4 Type R.

I have been running mine now for about 2 years.

I fitted the daughterboard to the stock ECU and have since mapped it myself.

I have a PLX AFR wideband that I sync with my ESL logs.

I then use MegaLogViewerHD to analyse the data and make changes to the map.

I also have the Motorsport Pack (which required me sending the ECU to ESL for - what I can only imagine is a firmware upgrade - and once returned I was able to rewrite my previous tuning progress back to the ECU).

The progress you make before the motorsport pack upgrade, should be saved to your laptop and holds all your mapped values for your ECU, once the motorsport pack is added you have several other parameters now available to play with (map) which are the extra motorsport features.

Your previous settings(map) will need to be written back to the ECU, as ESL will write the standard ECU code(StockMap) when upgrading it to the motorsport pack; well this is how it was prepared for me.

Seeing as your pre-MSPack map has no idea of these new parameters it will only write the parameters it knows of, leaving any of the new features untouched (they stay as delivered by ESL), then you can re-save your entire ECU again but now containing all of your previous map settings AND the new MS parameters, from then on, you’re working with the entire array of parameters from basic to motorsport features.

I have also wired the A/L activation to my dash, on a discrete - but easy to access - button (latched, not momentary), and have also fitted the clutch switch so ‘FlatFootShifting‘ is now active all the time - as when do you ever not take your foot off the throttle pedal when changing gear - in normal driving scenarios(?), yet, when you want to FFS, it’s already waiting to assist!

Launch control is brilliant, there are settings to tweak for this too, so you can set it to your liking.

Yeah, it’s a great system, and the retained stock features like closed-loop lambda control and Subaru’s knock control strategy make it the perfect option for anyone wanting to start from a stock base and slowly tweak their way up to some big power!

All systems have - what can only be described as “characteristics”, and even my daily job has systems that come with “known issues” at each update, and yet you find a way to work with them, it’s what makes it a skill you acquire over time, from frequent use, and once you find a way to harness the functionality, you can achieve some very impressive goals!
Agreed, also using ESL here and your summary is just about right. Mine is v2 though.

CAR VX - Japan’s First Vehicle History Reports Service

Latest posts