V2 STi RA ECU compatibility

rustrepairer

Type RA Member
Think my 7K ECU may be fried.
Not seeing any for sale right now.
I have an ESL board to fit (with a 6K preloaded map) so think I'll just need something compatible/safe to get me away for the time being.

Can anyone advise on drop in replacement options?

Sleepless

Type RA Member
Think my 7K ECU may be fried.
Not seeing any for sale right now.
I have an ESL board to fit (with a 6K preloaded map) so think I'll just need something compatible/safe to get me away for the time being.

Can anyone advise on drop in replacement options?
I ended up with a Z4 and it worked fine.
Have you fitted the ESL daughterboard yet?

Do you have the ESL cable to go with it; the cables are hardware/software locked, only their cables will allow access to the ECU.

I’m curious to see what you think of the ESL system!

rustrepairer

Type RA Member
I had the ESL board and cable fitted with the 7K already, working normally.
Experienced some erratic behaviour and couldn't connect with it any longer.

Only wanted another compatible ECU to problem solve really.
Both the Z4 and 7K ECUs worked fine on their own but the odd behaviour and inability to connect was evident when the ESL board was installed in either.

So, I have a new ESL board (under warranty) but this is not fitted yet.

The car had previous modifications but was still running the stock ECU and, therefore, map.
I was personally using ESL as a diagnostic tool while preparing the car for mapping.
Essentially interrogating sensors etc to ensure that the vehicle was in a fit state for a professional.

I found the ESL system perfectly functional but the interface isn't 'glossy' and doesn't seem structured for beginners.
You have to do a bit of homework that is beyond just reading the manual.
That's fair enough I suppose, as you shouldn't be tuning without the requisite knowledge!

Sleepless

Type RA Member
I had the ESL board and cable fitted with the 7K already, working normally.
Experienced some erratic behaviour and couldn't connect with it any longer.

Only wanted another compatible ECU to problem solve really.
Both the Z4 and 7K ECUs worked fine on their own but the odd behaviour and inability to connect was evident when the ESL board was installed in either.

So, I have a new ESL board (under warranty) but this is not fitted yet.

The car had previous modifications but was still running the stock ECU and, therefore, map.
I was personally using ESL as a diagnostic tool while preparing the car for mapping.
Essentially interrogating sensors etc to ensure that the vehicle was in a fit state for a professional.

I found the ESL system perfectly functional but the interface isn't 'glossy' and doesn't seem structured for beginners.
You have to do a bit of homework that is beyond just reading the manual.
That's fair enough I suppose, as you shouldn't be tuning without the requisite knowledge!
Ahh, that’s annoying.

If you’ve now fitted the new board, is it continuing to display erratic behaviour, and what was the erratic behaviour, if you don’t mind me asking?

rustrepairer

Type RA Member
Still not had chance to fit the new board.
The odd behaviour was first exhibited following a battery disconnect/reconnect.

Symptoms:

When connecting the cable to PC, the ESL board was detected with a port number but the error message "incorrect ECU version" was displayed.

When ignition was turned on fans and relays would activate as though green/black diagnostic plugs were connected.
They definitely weren't but the behaviour was different anyway, with fans on constant instead of cycling and different relays activated.

When trying to start the car it wouldn't turn over at all.
Just a click and the fans/relays running continuously.

The battery was draining. I suppose constant fans/relays etc would contribute to this but I feel that was allowed to continue for seconds rather than minutes.
I fitted a new battery and that drained too.

2 PCs, 2 ECUs, 2 batteries, same behaviour.

Andy at ESL responded promptly and pleasantly to my emails and, after a problem solving exchange, he suggested I send the board back for testing.
He soon reported that it had behaved normally for him!
However, he graciously offered to send a replacement anyway, which I must now find time to fit and report back to him and anyone reading this thread!

CAR VX - Japan’s First Vehicle History Reports Service

Latest posts