Upgrading the ecu, enduring solutions ?

Discussion in 'Subaru Impreza WRX Help & advice' started by jmgtt, Feb 11, 2019.

1. jmgtt

jmgtt Type RA Member

2. V-Lim Jim

V-Lim Jim Type RA Member

Yes, my '97 STi runs mafless ESL. I would recommend it, seems much better than the other option at this price point for classics (PowerFC). Just make sure you use a decent mapper and you can't really go wrong :thumb my map needed a tweak after a less than ideal first map but once it had been tweaked by Ant at Cams it was very smooth with a heap extra mid range.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bizz

Bizz V-Limited Member

You can't really go wrong with an ESL board, it basically allows you to map the factory ECU. :thumb

• Like Like x 1
  4. jmgtt

jmgtt Type RA Member

Im thinking about it

5. Chris__p

Chris__p V-Limited Member

Same as above, got one in mine just so I could map the standard ecu and make sure it was mapped for UK fuel. You keep all the fault diagnostics with it as well
    Stayed with the maf though on mine

6. Fatharrydog

Fatharrydog MY98 WRX Type R V-Limited 176/1000

What differences did you see?

7. edsel

edsel V-Limited Member

I've had an esl on my v2 for years, for the price I really can't fault it. My only issue is the motor sport options aren't available for early imprezas.
    I'm thinking about replacing it with a link ecu just so I can get launch and anti lag fitted. A link ecu will probably end up costing £1500 - £2k supplied and fitted which makes the esl look even more of a bargain.

8. Chris.air

Chris.air V-Limited Member

I’m sure I was £1200 or £1300 from Jamie at evo tune to supply and fit my link g4 including map tweak.

• Like Like x 1
  9. edsel

edsel V-Limited Member

I've been quoted £1100 for the kit plus installation and mapping :(

10. edsel

edsel V-Limited Member

Chris: is the AL and LC switched on and off by switches?