Trouble starting STI

Discussion in 'Subaru Impreza WRX Help & advice' started by Manxbelly, Aug 15, 2019 at 10:54 PM.

1. Manxbelly

Manxbelly Type RA Member

Hi All,
    I've just purchased a lovely 99 JDM STI . Trouble starting is the issue . Turn the key , all lights on dash board on and nothing, no cranking over or anything . Will start after a bit of off and on with key but nothing obvious . then tonight it started no problem if I pump the brake !!! any ideas please ?

2. PeteRA

PeteRA love everything GC8

Has it got an immobiliser?

3. Manxbelly

Manxbelly Type RA Member

not sure , sorry its a bit vague

4. V3 type r

V3 type r Type RA Member

Check the wires on the starter motor, could be loose or corroded

5. type-ra

type-ra Administrator

Maybe an strange question, but are you sure it’s a 99 car & not an MY00 with clutch down start?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Paul92

Paul92 V-Limited Member

When turning over the key, do you actually hear the solenoid clicking? If so, it's probably your starter motor.
    If not, it could be anything between the key/barrel and the starter motor wiring.

7. BIlly

BIlly Type RA Member

@Manxbelly I meant to say it could just be the starter motor

8. BIlly

BIlly Type RA Member

This would be a bonus for you @Manxbelly if it turns out the car is a MY00. Any other way of tlling what year the cat is @type-ra ?

9. type-ra

type-ra Administrator

Check the VIN plate is easiest & quickest. GC8G got the clutch down start. It's caught me out before. Fingers crossed:thumb

10. Manxbelly

Manxbelly Type RA Member

Cheers for the reply lads, missed the notifications . Model GF-GC8 Vin - GC8-09****

11. Manxbelly

Manxbelly Type RA Member

Cheers for the reply lads, missed the notifications . Model GF-GC8 Vin - GC8-09****