Suspension Plans

Discussion in 'Subaru Impreza Spec-C help & advice' started by Michael Seeds, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Michael Seeds

Michael Seeds Type RA Member

Hi All

I have a 2003 Spec C Ltd I am looking to upgrade the suspension. I only want to use OEM Sti parts.

I am considering getting the sti 21 mm rear sway bar and 2004 rear sti pink springs.

That will take me to 224lbs/inch front and 217lbs/inch rear.

I was also looking at the pink sti lateral links and trailing arms with the pillowball joints. But these parts are expensive, does anyone know if it would be worth it?

The car is not a daily driver. It is a weekend car, I'd also like to do the odd hillclimb event / trackdays.

2. benji

benji Type RA Member

Sounds like a good plan.
    I ran that set up on my classic bar 22mm Cusco arb. And pink struts too, the pink springs give a nice height.

The rear arms are expensive but look great and will improve over your original bushes that have probably gone soft . I've noticed this on my bugeye all the bushes throughout the car now seem to be soft or showing signs of Pershing and mines had a easy life in stock form till I got my hands on it lol . So any upgrades are going to show.

3. Essbon

Essbon Impreza WRX Type R STI Version 5

I’d recommend updating the front roll bar too
    A good setup will be
    22mm rear
    24mm front

The “pink bits” as I call them aka lateral links and trailing arms are a good upgrade, I recommend fitting them

4. Michael Seeds

Michael Seeds Type RA Member

I won't be uprating the front. 21mm rear and 20mm should be balanced enough and should reduce understeer slightly.

I've actually done a little more research and I don't the trailing arms are worth it. From my reading they are exactly the same as standard but with a pillow ball mount.

http://thedreamscars.blogspot.com/2012/04/sti-trailing-link-set.html

I'm not sure the lateral links are worth it either. The pink sti ones are steel, I'd like an aluminium set to reduce unsprung weight.

The question is finding a set that looks OEM.