spec-c steering rack

Discussion in 'Subaru Impreza Spec-C help & advice' started by banhama, Apr 9, 2013.

1. banhama

banhama V-Limited Member

Is the steering rack on a 2003 spec-c the same as STi models of that period?
    I remember the car having one of those 'quick-steering STi' stickers on the rear screen.

Ta, Andy

2. type-ra

type-ra Administrator

No Andy,

Spec C 17" & 16" have 13:1 quickrack. STi & WRX have standard 15:1 rack.

Dean

3. banhama

banhama V-Limited Member

Many thanks Master:bow

4. drischnie

drischnie Type RA Member

thats wrong.
    Every JDM STi since 2003 have the quick-rack 13:1 rack.
    you can compare the part numbers.
    theres no special steering rack number for the spec c models

5. Suberman

Suberman Moderator

Yes Andy,

The steering racks are the same for both the JDM STI wth DCCD and Spec C with 13:1 ratio. The MY01-MY04 JDM STIs without DCCD have the regular 15:1 steering racks. MY05 onwards get the 13:1 as standard.

Regards
    Errol

Not entirely true.

The JDM STIs without DCCD didn't come with the 13:1 ratio rack until MY05. The pre MY05 models only gets the quick rack with DCCD optioned.

I think it's a fairly common misconception that all JDM STIs are equipped with DCCD. It is in fact an option until MY05.

Regards
    Errol

6. banhama

banhama V-Limited Member

Many thanks Errol,

So my safest bet is to get for one from another spec-c, if not i need to be sure the donor car had DCCD if a pre 2005 JDM Sti.

Ta

• Like Like x 1
  7. Suberman

Suberman Moderator

Yes, that's the safest bet. You'll be looking at one with the part # 34110FE440.

You can't fit a MY05 or later rack in as i believe it is mounted differently.

8. ASJ

ASJ Moderator

What's the problem with your current rack Andy? High miles wear and tear or something more specific?

Rgds, Ade

9. type-ra

type-ra Administrator

That's very interesting.
    My info came from the brochure for the car which shows only the Spec C with 13:1.
    I didn't check the other models but from memory I'm pretty sure it's the same for the later cars too.
    I'll have a look when I get home.

Dean

10. banhama

banhama V-Limited Member

Fluid leak from the offside boot, which has now been stemmed with slick 50. Just thinking its done about 190,000 miles maybe i'd better source a replacement....I've found a couple, but it's working fine, so do I spend the money......just to have something completely different go wrong! Sod's law and all that!