spec-c steering rack

banhama

V-Limited Member
Is the steering rack on a 2003 spec-c the same as STi models of that period?
I remember the car having one of those 'quick-steering STi' stickers on the rear screen.

Ta, Andy

type-ra

Administrator
I remember the car having one of those 'quick-steering STi' stickers on the rear screen.

Ta, Andy
No Andy,

Spec C 17" & 16" have 13:1 quickrack. STi & WRX have standard 15:1 rack.

Dean

drischnie

Type RA Member
thats wrong.
Every JDM STi since 2003 have the quick-rack 13:1 rack.
you can compare the part numbers.
theres no special steering rack number for the spec c models

Suberman

Ta, Andy
Yes Andy,

The steering racks are the same for both the JDM STI wth DCCD and Spec C with 13:1 ratio. The MY01-MY04 JDM STIs without DCCD have the regular 15:1 steering racks. MY05 onwards get the 13:1 as standard.

Regards
Errol

thats wrong.
Not entirely true.

The JDM STIs without DCCD didn't come with the 13:1 ratio rack until MY05. The pre MY05 models only gets the quick rack with DCCD optioned.

I think it's a fairly common misconception that all JDM STIs are equipped with DCCD. It is in fact an option until MY05.

Regards
Errol

banhama

V-Limited Member
Many thanks Errol,

So my safest bet is to get for one from another spec-c, if not i need to be sure the donor car had DCCD if a pre 2005 JDM Sti.

Ta

Suberman

Many thanks Errol,

So my safest bet is to get for one from another spec-c, if not i need to be sure the donor car had DCCD if a pre 2005 JDM Sti.

Ta

Yes, that's the safest bet. You'll be looking at one with the part # 34110FE440.

You can't fit a MY05 or later rack in as i believe it is mounted differently.

ASJ

What's the problem with your current rack Andy? High miles wear and tear or something more specific?

Rgds, Ade

type-ra

Administrator
thats wrong.
That's very interesting.
My info came from the brochure for the car which shows only the Spec C with 13:1.
I didn't check the other models but from memory I'm pretty sure it's the same for the later cars too.
I'll have a look when I get home.

Dean

banhama

V-Limited Member
What's the problem with your current rack Andy? High miles wear and tear or something more specific?

Rgds, Ade
Fluid leak from the offside boot, which has now been stemmed with slick 50. Just thinking its done about 190,000 miles maybe i'd better source a replacement....I've found a couple, but it's working fine, so do I spend the money......just to have something completely different go wrong! Sod's law and all that!