Rust Bucket to S5 Project Car

Discussion in 'Projects, modifications & how to guides' started by AgentH, Nov 30, 2018.

1. AgentH

AgentH Type RA Member

I'm not sure where it was sold originally, but I picked it up from a dude in Reading PA. Yea, it's in rough shape.

2. type-ra

type-ra Administrator

Good on you for trying to save it @AgentH :thumb
    It is a harsh reminder for everyone what may be lying beneath the "few rust bubbles on rear arch":eek:

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Paul92

Paul92 V-Limited Member

I'm afraid there are still a lot of owners and shops who just replace the arches and think it's done.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. TYPERV6

TYPERV6 Owner at The Project

So long as the key structural areas are sound, then you should be able to patch the more cosmetic stuff. I fully understand the headache with trying to find a new shell... so long as you know what you're getting yourself in for. Get well practiced with a welder before you go near the shell. Not only is Subaru metal light & difficult to weld but if its in any way rusty it'll be harder again... so cut well back from the rust. It may be a nightmare now taking on such a huge undertaking but it will be worth it if done right. You can't beat a challenge :) I've a very rusty classic mini that I got given by a close friend. It's a pure little rot box and I know many wouldn't even attempt to save it... but coz it's a friends and has a certain amount of sentimental value, i think its worth putting the effort in to saving it. It'll not stand me much in the end but will be some headache to get right.

5. TYPERV6

PS - A lot of the rear panels are still available. I can't find them now but someone I'm fiends with on FB has just had major work done to his car to sort rust.... all the inner flitches, rear turrets, rear valance, rear pocket panels are still available. You main Subaru dealer ought to be able to see what they can source for you.

6. TYPERV6

PPS - If you tub your rear arches to the extent that RichC did on his Time Attack car... then you may need very little of the rear arch at all.... ;)

afarm8.staticflickr.com_7852_33115827978_84b5a39440_b.jpg IMG_0314 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

afarm5.staticflickr.com_4863_33115827908_59b151dd0e_b.jpg IMG_0579 by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

7. AgentH

AgentH Type RA Member

That's interesting. Is this fella (RichC) installing a S5 kit? It looks like he's removed the brace that sits above the wheel arch that I removed in order to cut out the rot.

Oh, Sh**, I just noticed his car has no trunk floor. That area has been completely removed. Had to look at pics of my Sh*t box to see that. Right behind the wheel arch, you put this rubber/plastic thing that looks like a laundry dryer vent exhaust :) In RichC's car, that opening has been cut in half!

... Yea, that area on my car has been murdered by rust. Really, just the lowest spots... Again, it's the really tight hard to get to areas that are most affected.

I spent 6 hrs yesterday working on the pinch weld under the rocker (sill) in between the two wheel wells. Removing the rusted metal. I'll take some pics and update later on. It's a pretty complex area.

There are some areas that I question whether or not it needs to be cut out. I have a punch and a hammer. If i take the punch and tap on the sheet metal with it and can pop a hole without much effort, it is certainly rusted and should be replaced. I've also noticed where the rusted metal is a really dark brown or gray, it's typically very bad. But if it looks pitted and I tap on it but it resists punching through, Maybe it's OK. There are a few areas like that in the rocker that are really complex (have lots pieces of sheet metal coming together) where I really don't want to cut since I am not sure how I would repair. Right now I think I will not cut those sections in fear of creating a bigger mess than I have started with.

I spotted a nice Impreza L on Craigslist earlier this week that I was going to go look at. It sold before I had the chance to look at it in person. I will continue to passively look while embracing the challenge of my current rust bucket.

8. TYPERV6

It's a full Time Attack car ... hence the lack of boot floor and rear pockets. He fitted an Aerosim kit in the end but wasn't happy with certain aspects of it.