Rollcages

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by subyea81, May 29, 2019.

1. subyea81

subyea81 A van?!?

(If this is in the wrong category, apologies)
    After having a trawl through the archives i didn’t see much on rollcages

Initially i thought bolt in, but the money is pretty similar for weld in, plus dash removal i would do anyway (flock) and interior wise i’ve already stripped it once when i turned it into a van so doesn’t bother me doing it again! And yes i know, i should have done the cage first but i didn’t quite have the intention to go this far with it!

So as a result i’m looking to go full weld in on mine in the winter but I’m curious to hear what experiences people have had, I’m looking at the safety devices Q24 cage

Also just wanted to see some cool pics.....

Many thanks
    Tom

2. TYPERV6

TYPERV6 Owner at The Project

What do you intend to use the car for?

3. subyea81

subyea81 A van?!?

At the moment i intend to do sprints in more modified classes, Hillclimbs, and time attack i could probably get away with a lesser spec cage but i approach things with, if i’m Gonna do it....do it and i would prefer to look at and know I’m in a welded cage instead of bolted as I’m not a big fan of ‘dash dodger’ type cages.

4. Burnsie

Burnsie V-Limited Member

Hi,

If you are doing Motorsport of any kind with your car then I would always recommend with a full weld in spec cage that is fully compliant with the Motorsport UK regulations for the class of competition you wish to do. You may also be able to get a spec of cage fitted so you can use it for multiple disciplines should you wish. I would also look at getting it fitted professionally, maybe have a look at safety devices, custom cages, harry hockley Motorsport to get an idea. Expect to pay around £1k for the roll cage kit and then around £2k for fitting. Unless you are a dab hand with a tig welder that is ;)

Best of luck :thumb

5. gus

gus V-Limited Member

DSCF5727.JPG DSCF5727.JPG

• Like Like x 7
  6. Etheridge-Bird

Etheridge-Bird Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  7. Joe v3sti

Joe v3sti Type RA Member

Good luck getting the the likes of Steven Lancaster or Harry hockey doing full cages for 3k, your looking at 4.5k That's what I was quoted by Steven Lancaster who is a custom cages dealer. Then there's painting etc.

Get a safety devices 6 point bolt in. Excellent value for money. Could be DIY installed (as mine was) or you could pay an installer a sensible amount to weld the 6no foot plates in.
    That's what I've run in my car for 5 years to great effect. That's including mlr championship, various hillclimb records.
    They are relatively light, in expensive and a good fit. Ideal for clubman Level motorsports

Joe

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Joe v3sti

Joe v3sti Type RA Member

There's other aspects of safety worth considering,

Proper fixed rail seat mounting
    Proper harness angles and mounting

Minimum outlay, maximum gains!

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Burnsie

Burnsie V-Limited Member

Apologies I was a bit light on the cage fitting estimate :think:. I think the GC8 multipoint cage I originally got quoted for from custom cages was just shy of £5k tig welded inc VAT. Can’t remember if that included seat rails but expect another £500 for a proper job. Most of the cage fitters are similarly priced and yes there’s paint on top :cry:

It all depends what discipline you decide on. If you were interested in hill climb events or track days etc then sounds like you can get away with a bolt in type like @Joe v3sti but time attack or stage rallying then you would definitely have to have a full spec weld in cage like @gus or mine

70BDB93B-9373-4A13-9800-BECE1E44CD56.jpeg

End of day I would always go for the safest option you can afford :thumb

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Burnsie

Burnsie V-Limited Member