Replacing Tired suspension Spec C

MelTypeR

Type RA Member
Sorry @MelTypeR I got off track from your original question, are you looking to keep a standard style/look setup or is this not important to you ?
If you wish to keep a more factor look than I can not help you there.
But if your happy to go Coilover then all KW products have a very good name world wide.
Haha no problem, to be honest ive probably learnt more from all the great feedback on this thread.

Defo not going down the looks route, just to get the car handling well while trying to keep the best compromise on ride quality.

I think my mind is made up on Peter's advice to stick with the standard shock and go for his bespoke springs and bump stops. Then setup using his specified geo settings.

He did mention to me that my rear bar prob needs changing back to a 22mm and use on the soft setting, but for now he said make these changes and then use it for a while and then see if it needs the rear bar changing. He was happy for me to keep the 22mm front bar on the soft setting.

So lets see, I've already order new top mounts all round (std STI items, not GP N) and see where that gets more. Hopefully the shocks are ok when i take a closer look at them over the weekend.

RA Graham

WRX STi Sportswagon V6, WRX STi Type RA limited V6
Haha no problem, to be honest ive probably learnt more from all the great feedback on this thread.

Defo not going down the looks route, just to get the car handling well while trying to keep the best compromise on ride quality.

I think my mind is made up on Peter's advice to stick with the standard shock and go for his bespoke springs and bump stops. Then setup using his specified geo settings.

He did mention to me that my rear bar prob needs changing back to a 22mm and use on the soft setting, but for now he said make these changes and then use it for a while and then see if it needs the rear bar changing. He was happy for me to keep the 22mm front bar on the soft setting.

So lets see, I've already order new top mounts all round (std STI items, not GP N) and see where that gets more. Hopefully the shocks are ok when i take a closer look at them over the weekend.
Please keep us informed how it all works out.

2pot

V-Limited Member
It won't work out.
He's complaining of poor ride quality.

Changing one set of springs, to another set of stiffer springs, but with more forward rake (which is good, like an rb320) - lower at the front higher at the rear, won't help ride quality

fa68ca660871693.jpg

You'll have less front bump travel and more rear bump travel. You'll gain 10mm + soft nose by changing the front stop, so you're back to square one. The rear stop will be stiffer (which is good, better handling balance), as it has 3 nodes and is shorter by 8mm - so it's a wash.

You could ascertain if the wheel rate is too high, for comfort, on your roads by.....I dunno....temporarily disconnecting the rear bar? And you know what, it's obvious it will feel nicer comfort-wise. But, if you've been riding around on a 24mm rear bar, on poor roads, it might be useful to remind yourself, what a more independent rear suspension feels like.

For additional £250, I'd change the rear struts as well:

Labour costs would be the same, install Peter's springs/bump stops, get new lower rear rubber isolators:
Rear lower - 2 x 20375FC001 https://www.importcarparts.co.uk/pa...c=421&var=38&dc=0&gen=&searchKey=&searchPart=
You've ordered new rear top mounts - then you've completely eliminated one area of potential issue.

Last edited:

plenty

Type RA Member
I went from OEM struts and springs and Whiteline 22/24 bars to RB320 springs and bump stops, front Bilsteins and rear OEM KYB dampers, and 20/21 bars. Made a good difference although was done all at once so I couldn’t comment on the contribution of individual components. No doubt Peter would have a view on the RB vs OEM springs.

2pot

V-Limited Member
The RB320 springs are stiffer than oem STI with more positive rake - good.
All the springs below increase positive chassis rake.

Front - RB320 v WA/A2 v PCA STI:
rb320 v waa2 v pca sti front.jpg

Rear - RB320 v WA/A2 v PCA STI
As you say the rear RB320 spring base coil is 8mm larger than the KYB springs, as Bilstein only had access to that size of lower spring cup.

rb320 v waa2 v pca sti rear.jpg

None of the above springs are as stiff as the s204/RA-R springs, which were 336lb/in 280lb/in

Last edited:

plenty

Type RA Member
They will. The spring perch of the RB320 rear damper is 7mm larger in diameter than the OEM KYB however I have run RB320 springs with OEM KYBs without problem

MelTypeR

Type RA Member
Managed to get some pics of the top mounts on the car.

From what I can make out the springs look in decent condition but need to inspect the shocks closer to be sure.

B50C92A1-82B4-4027-9825-6C1667EA5060.jpeg2969F43C-89BD-4F75-B157-287412DE1243.jpeg669CA903-31FC-4E2A-AAB1-103A2C95E97A.jpegE12A9B41-E180-4453-9BFC-2D9B1248A9B5.jpeg

MelTypeR

Type RA Member
FYI I have managed to source a brand new STI pink front ARB (21mm) and a brand new rear RB320 (Prodrive) 21mm adjustable ARB.

Before I do anything with the suspension I will change both of these together with new arb Superpro bushes and see what effects are felt. Ive got the feeling that both the current ARBs are simply to big for the ride im looking for.