Pre facelift 96 R160 differential axle problems

gf8wrx

V-Limited Member
What USDM Subaru CV Axles are compatible with a V2 1996 GF8 WRX? It has an original 5 speed manual. Car is factory non abs model with R160 differential (4.11 ratio). I have listed the JDM OEM part numbers below for reference.

-DRIVE SHAFT ASSEMBLY-FRONT
Genuine Subaru (28021AC130)

Genuine Subaru (28021FA110)

-DRIVE SHAFT ASSEMBLY-REAR,RIGHT
Genuine Subaru (28021FA161)

-DRIVE SHAFT ASSEMBLY-REAR,LEFT
Genuine Subaru (28021FA170)

I've been told that these particular differential axles are not equal length like the later model R160s.

I love this car, but I'm growing tired of fixing it when random shit like this happens. Was only about 80% on the gas, already moving and it wheel hopped on the left rear wheel, and i did another small pull to see if it was too much gravel on the road as ive never had a subaru especially with a tiny wrx td04 do this lol. I pulled over to see my LH rear axle snapped/extremely loose on the differential side.

Is there any direct drop in axles or cheap ways to put in a newer R160 with equal length axles? JDM GDA/GDB parts are quite expensive/hard to get in Canada still. Not many USDM spec 02-04 WRX's around either. I heard that USDM wrx 02-04 R160 differential are worse than the pre facelift GC8/GF8 R160s as well, I'd rather not pay to downgrade.

Attachments

• 20190925_190628.jpg
    20190925_190628.jpg
    564 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Vontrotski

Kiwi roads, made for top notch Subaru WRX STI cars
What USDM Subaru CV Axles are compatible with a V2 1996 GF8 WRX? It has an original 5 speed manual with R160 differential (4.11 ratio). I have listed the JDM OEM part numbers below for reference.

Genuine Subaru (28021AC130)

Genuine Subaru (28021FA110)

-DRIVE SHAFT ASSEMBLY-REAR,RIGHT
Genuine Subaru (28021FA161)

-DRIVE SHAFT ASSEMBLY-REAR,LEFT
Genuine Subaru (28021FA170)

I've been told that these particular differential axles are not equal length like the later model R160s.

I love this car, but I'm growing tired of fixing it when random shit like this happens. Was only about 80% on the gas, already moving and it wheel hopped on the left rear wheel, and i did another small pull to see if it was too much gravel on the road as ive never had a subaru especially with a tiny wrx td04 do this lol. I pulled over to see my LH rear axle snapped/extremely loose on the differential side.

Is there any direct drop in axles or cheap ways to put in a newer R160 with equal length axles? Would a 2015 wrx for example be a good differential to try and swap in? JDM GDA/GDB parts are quite expensive/hard to get in Canada still. Not many USDM spec 02-04 WRX's around either. I heard that USDM wrx 02-04 R160 differential are worse than the pre facelift GC8/GF8 R160s as well, I'd rather not pay to downgrade.
I did find this, it may help, they are querky little beasts, shouldn't be snapping axels that's for sure.

gf8wrx

V-Limited Member
Hi I saw that. Does anyone have any insight or had this problem before? It's the left rear axle on the differential side that's broken. Does anyone know if this is the 93-96 jdm specific gc8/gf8 unequal length axle? Would a regular 93-97 usdm regular length axle be compatible?

gf8wrx

V-Limited Member
I hope someone can tell me if the LHD rear differential axle is an equal length axle. Still unsure what side is the 'unequal length axle' that is hard to come across for a 93-96 WRX with a 4.11 R160 MLSD Rear Differential.

gf8wrx

V-Limited Member
The R160 VLSD and CLSD both have the longer RH shaft. The left one is the same as the open diffs.
Thank you. I've ordered a 1998 USDM Subaru Impreza 2.5RS LH axle replacement. I hope that it is a direct swap, but it should be if the RH Shaft is longer.

gf8wrx

V-Limited Member
Well... bad news...

I purchased a USDM 1998 subaru 2.5rs ej25 lh rear axle. They have a 4.11 r160. (2nd photo)

But here is what the axle that I took out at looks like (top axle shown). It's shorter than the replacement axle on the differential side.
Screenshot_20220828-173030_Snapchat.jpg

The original LH Rear Axle inner CV joint came apart/failed. Is this item servicable? I am unable to find a replacement anywhere online.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220828-194141_Outlook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220828-194141_Outlook.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Paul92

V-Limited Member
Thank you. I've ordered a 1998 USDM Subaru Impreza 2.5RS LH axle replacement. I hope that it is a direct swap, but it should be if the RH Shaft is longer.
The shaft itself should be the same length.

I'm not familiar with USDM diffs and shafts, I only know there is a CLSD unit which uses a stub on the right.
Completely different to the JDM CLSD, which uses the same shafts as the VLSD units.

The CV is servicable, and you might be able to make a hybrid axle out of the 2 you have. Depending on the condition of the original CV.
Take it apart and you will see.