My 94 sti long term project

Discussion in 'Projects, modifications & how to guides' started by Savage Bulldogs, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Savage Bulldogs

Savage Bulldogs V-Limited Member

Cheers chap , it will probably go a bit quiet for a couple of months ,now .As we're bound to get some colder weather before it gets better. But one of the heads is ready to go to the engineers, hopefully get the other one prepped over the weekend.

Tbh the engine I built has always been a bit slappy when cold but that was because I bought the 750 hp rated mahles to match the 750hp b.c rods .I originally gapped the rings for 550hp but it's never been ran anywhere near that figure and has spent most of the 60k miles being daily driven (rarely got enough heat in them ). Although the engine doesn't burn oil and the compression figures are still good (within 7psi across all cylinders). Until I get the original phase 1 heads off and inspect the bores for wear ,I have no idea whether it will just be a case of fitting the refreshed v4sti heads :cool:

or a full rebuild :D

I'm hoping just the heads , as I don't fancy running it in again but I know how these cars get under your skin and how a relatively straight forward "refresh" can change into something more major :wasntme:.

Looks like I better find out a bit more info on what max size you can over bore a cdb too ?

As it's currently been overbored 0.5mm to fit the 2186 mahles and if it has worn the bores , it would be nice to know if i can get another set of bigger pistons (93mm) and overbore again . Without taking any risk of sleeve failure ?

I only need to know "Just in case" , not that I've been looking at new pistons and cranks already ... honest :mask::blush:

• Like Like x 1
  2. asperformance

asperformance Site Supporter

We carry 93mm Mahles, etc on the shelf.......no issue at all with that bore on an EJ20 of any variation

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. edsel

edsel V-Limited Member

I’ve worked at Dagenham for over 20 years
    Better to have the valve clearances on the bigger side, Nothing I like more than a bit of shed engineering, nice work

• Like Like x 1
  4. Savage Bulldogs

Thanks Alyn , I'll be giving you a call once I know what I need and cheers for the info on the 93mm pistons :bow

hopefully the bores will be good or maybe just need a hone, piston clean and new set of rings .

But if not ,nice to hear you keep some 93 mm mahles on the shelf "just in case" :thumb.

Edsel, Sometimes I enjoy working on it as much as driving it .... admittedly sometimes I wanna flick at match at it too :banghead: :mad:.

5. asperformance

asperformance Site Supporter

Rings ae easy also....

• Like Like x 1
  6. Savage Bulldogs

Apparently Sunday dinner (this week) wont be scooby orientated, so with the wife using my engine building table for beef stew , I decided to wake the old girl up (and most of my neighbor's)

In all fairness the mrs will be sowing the strap back onto car cover this afternoon, as one tore off in the heavy winds earlier this week, so I can sort of forgive her for using my table :D

So not much of a update , just a few pics of her uncovered (the car not the wife) and a few funny looks of the neighbor's .while I'm driving back and forth on the driveway while trying to keep the discs clean and things turning .
    Tbh it's just made me miss it more ,as I sold the v7sti type UK daily last summer and bought a cheap 05 plate A4 to lap up the salt ... even though it's a 2ltr turbo petrol by fook is it boring to drive :snooze: 20200119_114613.jpg 20200119_113201.jpg
    And a couple of the old daily that I bought with a knocky engine, rebuilt the 207 and drove around for a couple of years 20190730_103659.jpg
    20190730_103729.jpg 2018-12-28 19.35.06.png

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Savage Bulldogs

Unfortunately a builders schedule has fell apart and left me with a couple of days off plastering :(

So I might as well do something constructive and crack on with these heads ;)

Soon found out the exhaust valves have less contact area after a light lapping than the inlet ones :wasntme:

Although I've lapped in the inlet valves already ,if I'm gonna get the exhaust valves re cut , I might as well get the full 16 done along with the pressure test n face skim .

I've got my trusty v1/V2 pdf service manual and the v4sti valve clearances but would like a copy of the v3/v4 sti service manual . To get my engineer the v4sti valve contact area and angle , plus I'd like to know if theres any difference in the cam cap bolt torque settings .

So I've had a little search in the normal places and will continue to trawl the net but if anyone has a link to a v3/v4 sti engine pdf , that would be much appreciated.
    Cheers Clive

8. tekkerchrede

tekkerchrede V-Limited Member

I am sure @asperformance can help with exact figures, maybe for a small fee.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Savage Bulldogs

Cheers chap .:thumb

I dropped the heads off at my engineers this afternoon and he said he has the technical info for the valve angle, length and contact area .

So all I need is the cam cap torque settings, hopefully Alyn will spot the tag and know what they're supposed to be on a v4sti

10. edsel

edsel V-Limited Member

I torqued the cam caps the same as the V2 I can’t recall the setting off the top of my head. I have a pdf of the v1-2 factory manual but not the v3.
    The v3 onward cam cap bolts are bigger in diameter irc?

• Agree Agree x 1