My 2000 V6 Type RA

Ric McLaughlin

V-Limited Member
I started to consider this seriously when found out that a lot of professional sport drivers, whom I know, use these “toys” as a daily training routine.
I can definitely see it. Given that I was using the most entry-level (Playstation console and wheel, Thrustmaster seat) it felt ridiculous and there are 'rigs' reaching into the tens of thousands. It probably felt all the more impressive as I hadn't played computer games for probably going on a decade. Within minutes though you're saying things like "The wheel could be bigger..." and there's aftermarket Sparco versions being brought up and thrown around! I've got a couple of young kids though and I don't think I could justify the amount of time I'd lose to it. The 5 year-old has taken a passing interest in cars so I can tell myself that working on mine is halfway to constructive parenting!

Ric McLaughlin

V-Limited Member
After a week of torrential rain and having our house broken into (2020 - great) I finally got a bit of time to get the car out to go and see a man about some paint.

You know you're in good hands when there's a half hour conversation about racing and rally cars before you've even got to the point of why you're even there although, being a body shop, he'd probably guessed by the patchwork quilt of panel colours in front of him...

Anyway, yarn over, it's all booked in for a January make over. After much soul searching and bank balance examining I'm going to go for white. I'd love to go for blue but I just can't justify the outlay at the minute on something that will only ever be cosmetic. I would need to get the interior done too and that automatically propels things into a whole different realm of cost. Being local, it also means that they're happy for me to just drop the panels up so that the car can remain garaged throughout after an initial paint-matching session.

Business concluded, I took the back roads home via some local favourites and some T-junctions coated in slimy wet leaves! Freshly-coated in muck, as I was putting the car away it dawned on me that white probably was the right call in terms of continuing to enjoy the Type RA.

IMG_8803.jpg

Last edited:

Ric McLaughlin

V-Limited Member
There's a busy couple of weeks ahead for my car so thought I'd write a quick post to anchor it all from. First up is an MOT on Friday which will also hopefully fix the niggling gremlins of wiper jet and IC sprays not working, a slight rumble through the wheel at certain speeds and hazards that won't come on whilst it's in there.

639FA6C5-510D-4E69-ABDE-FC1CB6022ECD-7857-000004B0A4693D50.jpg

After that, it's into my own garage for an underseal. I've just got a new compressor and a full Dinitrol rust converter, cavity wax and underseal set. I know full well that I WILL regret saying this but I am actually looking forward to getting underneath the car and learning something new. A couple of friends of mine are into old BMW's and Land Rover's respectively and have both advised that the biggest part of the job is actually in the prep work so am going to take my time and work through things properly.

The car is never going to be on heavily-salted roads but I would like to be able to drive it on wet roads without the slow creep of slowly-creeping rust fear. I looked at a few different options before settling on Dinitrol for a balance of protection/ease of application/cost.

453C4D57-F56F-4C5A-A357-8AE5838D6E05-7857-000004B0FE7D081C.jpg

Once into the new year, it's then on to paint which I've talked about before and will put together a proper update once all that is underway. Depending on how long gremlin chasing takes and how much I have on work-wise it may end up that I put off the Dinitrol until the panels are at the painters.

There's a private road near me belonging to an old hotel so I took her out yesterday to get a couple of pics and to keep everything moving. I'm still collecting up bits and pieces for the dash swap too. All the McRae celebrations lately have put me in mind to go down the Recaro route at some stage too but that would probably mean having to part with my Prodrive x Sparco's and I'm not so keen on doing that just yet.

Ric McLaughlin

V-Limited Member
Amazingly, it passed first time! I get a bit caught up on all the details and obsess over the small stuff but it's always refreshing to get a reminder that, in the bigger picture, the car's actually in good mechanical nick!

IMG_8959.jpg
The blob eye was in for a blown turbo and rusty front subframe... it could've been worse!

It's also refreshing to use a local business and talk to someone who is clearly (as the owner of several Mazda 323 Turbo's over the years) deeply into this era of car. The only issue Ryan had was that the Momo wheel I fitted was missing a slide ring for the horn so, rather than fail the car and send me a bigger bill, he connected the wiring from the old QR connection in the dash to a blank beside the IC spray button. I'll get it sorted (along with the IC spray which is knackered) when I get a chance.

Next I gave the car a thorough clean and am now set to get it up in the air to start work on the undersealing...

Ric McLaughlin

V-Limited Member
It's probably fair to say that it wasn't a massive surprise that I didn't get as much done over the Christmas break as I'd hoped to. Now though, lockdown back in effect, I am managing to get back to the long, cold evenings in the garage labouring away underneath the Type RA.

IMG_9540 copy.jpg
I've no idea what night this was taken on but it was cold...

It's maybe part of the sadomasochism that accompanies having a young family and an old car but I'm finding the disorientating effects of a chemical mask, goggles, dust and the constant buzz of an electric drill weirdly relaxing.

The good news is that the underside is tidying up nicely with a bit of effort. The car had been rather hurriedly undersealed before. As with most other things it would seem to have been a fairly slap dash effort with vast tracts untouched but as I suppose it was a track/weekend toy it wasn't deemed an essential job. The only areas of concern were the passenger side sill corners where, unsurprisingly, the car has been badly jacked at some stage with parts of the seams being crushed. This was the same on my old car and is disproportionately annoying as literally two seconds longer spent locating the actual jacking points could have negated it. Anyway... they're by no means awful, just deformed, and with a bit of work they cleaned up nicely.

There's a couple of sections of about an inch or so where the sealant has bitten the dust too and around these hovered the most surface rust so I'm going to re-do the whole seam with fresh sealant to be safe. I'll also properly treat and paint over the bare metal exposed on the sill corners but it really isn't much and I'm generally feeling relieved.

Having now seen too many hours of my adult life evaporate to under sealing forum threads I've reneged on my decision to Dinitrol the lot. As I've cleaned, I've discovered that the car is actually in really good nick underneath and to simply coat that in the thick, black filth I've just removed seems a bit counterproductive as well as meaning that it'll be harder to stay abreast of areas that need attention in the future. Instead, I've decided to cavity wax and re-seal where possible followed by Bilt Hamber Dynax-UC. I know the Dinitrol is heavier duty kit so my plan is to use the UC and just keep an eye on things.

In another turn up for the books, I had noticed the occasional smattering of oil around the rear of the gearbox and had just put it to the back of my mind as a seal letting go a bit and something to worry about once it was either too late or time to sort something close to it anyway. Gearbox oil levels seemed fine so to the back of my mind it was forced. As it turns out, the RCM catch can has an overflow with a section of thick hose having been routed all the way down from the engine bay along the top of the 'box before terminating just above the end of it. Why it's in that particular spot I've no idea but can drained, I'm working on a better location for it to exit and am feeling (again) relieved that that's all it was. I also should have thought to empty it before, I know...

Granted, I've dodged a couple of potential pitfalls by nothing much more than luck BUT I am enjoying sorting the small bits and pieces along the way and am really glad that the shell itself is in such good nick.

Hopefully over the next week or so I can get things sealed, buttoned up and then I can get over to the painter to get the panels sorted.

monoposto

Type RA Member
There's a busy couple of weeks ahead for my car so thought I'd write a quick post to anchor it all from. First up is an MOT on Friday which will also hopefully fix the niggling gremlins of wiper jet and IC sprays not working, a slight rumble through the wheel at certain speeds and hazards that won't come on whilst it's in there.

View attachment 112683

After that, it's into my own garage for an underseal. I've just got a new compressor and a full Dinitrol rust converter, cavity wax and underseal set. I know full well that I WILL regret saying this but I am actually looking forward to getting underneath the car and learning something new. A couple of friends of mine are into old BMW's and Land Rover's respectively and have both advised that the biggest part of the job is actually in the prep work so am going to take my time and work through things properly.

The car is never going to be on heavily-salted roads but I would like to be able to drive it on wet roads without the slow creep of slowly-creeping rust fear. I looked at a few different options before settling on Dinitrol for a balance of protection/ease of application/cost.

View attachment 112686

Once into the new year, it's then on to paint which I've talked about before and will put together a proper update once all that is underway. Depending on how long gremlin chasing takes and how much I have on work-wise it may end up that I put off the Dinitrol until the panels are at the painters.

There's a private road near me belonging to an old hotel so I took her out yesterday to get a couple of pics and to keep everything moving. I'm still collecting up bits and pieces for the dash swap too. All the McRae celebrations lately have put me in mind to go down the Recaro route at some stage too but that would probably mean having to part with my Prodrive x Sparco's and I'm not so keen on doing that just yet.
If you do decide to part with your prodrive seats I'd more than happily take them off your hands for the right price. I even have some rare tecnomagnesio's I could throw in on the deal!