My 2000 V6 Type RA

Ric McLaughlin

V-Limited Member
It was probably my own fault but when sat on the sofa, discussing via text whether or not my mate should fit a cage into his STI hatch I used the phrase "Mine is basically silent" I was only highlighting yet another thing that would inevitably need sorting on the Type RA.

19433ACF-A86C-4B59-B1AA-8CA83ACD5DD5-10484-000006D4F65B0091.JPG
I'm not a big wheel person but I love how well the ST2's look without any rubbing or compromise to the cars settings to accommodate them having been made.

My hunt for rattles lead me to decide that re-doing the fasteners and torque settings in the OMP cage would eliminate it from the enquiries. The first three rear bolts could basically have been talked out. I found the torque specs online and replaced all the painted-over ones that came in there, the majority of which were either very lightly torqued or just under. The car had sat for nearly four years in storage before I got it so I'm guessing this, combined with the bone-shaker JDM coilovers, conspired to loosen everything up. I also purchased a set of slotted sockets from Amazon which enabled me to get the last few turns of torque on to the top mounts. Whilst I was in the back of the car, I also taped over all the various holes which have been left unplugged presumably when the car was stripped of its interior.

IMG_6466.jpg
I'd definitely recommend Target Tyres in Perth - car was sorted in under an hour for £70.

After that, it was time to sit in a park for an hour whilst Mike at Target Tyres in Perth applied the 'Prodrive' settings to the suspension geometry. It was way out given that I had fitted the KW's myself and had had to wait a few weeks until lockdown restrictions eased to get everything aligned. I had consulted @2pot as to what I should be looking at and when I gingerly approached Mike with a scribbled sheet of suggested settings he read it and then pointed to the screen of the alignment rig which had virtually the same numbers already displayed on it! He then advised that the settings would be much harder on tyre wear but, being in Scotland and having seen many's a GC8 in the past, they were the best combination of angles to extract the most out of the chassis.

866FB566-6341-4FC0-A2FD-AD05698855B7-10484-000006D50748AF7C.JPG
I managed a spot of social distancing up Glenshee and managed to remember to bring my decent camera.

What a difference the alignment made! For the first time since I've owned it, the car really inspires confidence. I only got a couple of runs out in it amongst a week off from work but the most telling was on a slightly damp road with a really poorly-surfaced section of corners. A couple of runs through confirmed that the car now feels really adjustable on the throttle and that you can make the decision as to what the front and then rear axles are doing all via your right foot. This section of road is really slithery and with no big speed involved, it's a really good barometer for how well a car is hooking up. Before, the car felt really edgy with the super-stiff coilovers, poor/non-existent alignment and super-boosty map resulting in a knife-edge feeling of certain spinny-roundy doom. Now it feels like you have options; whether it's pushing a load of understeer through to the exit, bringing the tail round to counteract it or being clean and tidy on the way in only to feed in the power again on the way out. It's been a lot of time and effort but it feels like the dots are finally being connected and that the car is starting to drive how I've always envisioned that it should.

The next step is going to be getting the RCM rear firewall kit installed. I should have done this long ago so will report back when it's in and sorted.

Last edited:

Michael Joyce

V-Limited Member
How are you finding the Kw's @Ric McLaughlin ? Interested in your thoughts, which model you went for (assuming, maybe incorrectly, V3?) and also the geo settings you're obviously happy with. Think this is the way I'll be going with mine when the time comes

Cheers

Ric McLaughlin

V-Limited Member
How are you finding the Kw's @Ric McLaughlin ? Interested in your thoughts, which model you went for (assuming, maybe incorrectly, V3?) and also the geo settings you're obviously happy with. Think this is the way I'll be going with mine when the time comes

Cheers
It is the V3's I have, aye. There's compression adjusters at the base of each strut and then there's a rebound adjuster supplied with them that you connect into the top of each to adjust that. I've left mine in the factory settings as I've not got the chance to put too many miles on them just yet.
They are superb though - really, really good. Granted, I don't have have a wealth of experience with after market coilovers having previously only owned two sets but I've driven/sat in enough cars to know what I like and these tick the boxes. They have a brilliant balance to them and never feel like they're getting out of their depth. They're supple enough to live with as well, not bone-jarring in the slightest. I need to get them on track really too but I reckon that their increased suppleness over the Tarmac-spec units I had before will play well there too. They feel most comparable to the firmest setting on our Audi S1's magnaride dampers which is to say pretty much perfect for B-roads.
I had looked at the Bilsteins and am sure, given their reputation and similar price tag that they'd be equally as good. I just went down a bit of a wormhole with reading and watching as much as I could on KW and really liked how they seemed to do things. I looked at systems with different modes which could be toggled through (like the Tein's) but am so glad I binned that idea off in favour of something that is just set up and works. Would 100% recommend.

Ric McLaughlin

V-Limited Member
Not a lot to report on the car-front from this weekend other than it's driving really well and I got a bit more seat time in. At 80mph, on a dual carriageway, during a sudden heavy shower, it became pretty evident just how hard it was to drive, previously. It now feels like, for want of a better expression, a 'normal car'. It sits in its lane and the unseen pot hole thumps of the A9 no longer send your wrists into a crisis management meeting. The longer spin got some heat through the exhaust system and over the whoosh of the waste gate I can now hear the odd pop on the over-run - which is pretty cool. Certainly cooler (to my ears anyway) than all the three year-old cars with burble tunes I hear rolling through our village.

It's booked in tomorrow morning to have the rear firewall installed and then (hopefully) I can move on to some strategically placed soundproofing and maybe even plan some track days/evenings before work kicks off again at the end of August. Paint-wise, I've decided to leave it as it is until winter takes hold. There's no point in taking it off the road for the last few salt-free months of the year after I've done all this work. I'm finding that I actually quite like the ratty, mis-matched panels too. With my old car, I was obsessed with keeping it clean and as the Type RA sits at the minute, the focus remains on fun, so I'm in no rush.

B32E1FC7-22DB-4FAA-90B4-9F35CB297ED3-2478-0000010D1DBB409E.JPG

14BA761A-2E90-4230-9413-F88736D6852E-2478-0000010D256D449F.JPG
8836D34D-159A-480A-B43B-D286E2FD1ED2-2478-0000010D22ADDB4C.JPGAC69C2D3-08EE-4D24-A190-6D323811DB73-2478-0000010D2A98C2F7.JPGAF36F511-36D5-42D4-8B25-3FE63C930DB1-2478-0000010D2C1B9DC2.JPGB9545AD7-DA15-40FB-9BA7-2F0C255C1F4E-2478-0000010D2429A9D5.JPG15882236-5A14-4482-ABE5-A2E04F57C7D4-2478-0000010D294330F6.JPG

Ric McLaughlin

V-Limited Member
Whilst I was busy not thinking about my car being out in the rain all night at the garage last night I took my box of random GoPro bits and crafted up a pair of front number plate holders! The legal-sized plate basically fills a massive chunk of the V1 front bumper and the car looks a lot cleaner without it so I thought these could be a good option for removing it quickly and easily. I could also run the GoPro in the plates place for a bit of Climb Dance action! Maybe.

IMG_6742 copy.jpg
IMG_6743 copy.jpg