My 2000 V6 Type RA

Ric McLaughlin

V-Limited Member
From experience it used to be like that with ae86s six or seven years ago
A new ae86 front bumper was about 200 quid , people would cry about it and try get good second hand.
Now a new ae86 cant be bought new and youl pay about 1k if you do.
Imprezas will probably go down same road in time.
It definitely feels that way, doesn't it? To be honest, I'm frequently surprised by how (relatively) little bits and pieces are available for. I'm also constantly (and quietly) thinking what value for money Type R and Type RA's really represent when you look at the prices of other stuff. Especially given the motorsport pedigree and performance and experience on offer. Ten years ago, I nearly spent £9k on a Ford Racing Puma only to be put off by the relatively slow turn of pace compared to my 182 Cup. Now, I'd have to double that to get a clean car!
When I went through the dark days of wanting to sell this I threw myself into researching Celica GT-Four ST185's as a bit of a change. I left a 'newbie - help' message on a forum - first response simply said 'never-ending heartbreak' and the second said 'honestly don't bother'! :D It's been so handy throughout this project to have this forum to draw info and help from too.

LewisScoob

V-Limited Member
Are people really asking that much for a used front bumper?
i orderd 2 from my local subaru dealer just a few mins ago , was on my to do list so im delighted you had the part number handy thanks . must find part number for new v5 front now and order one also
or buy mine?

Mad Max

V-Limited Member
Agreed, I paid £200 for an early bumper 6 months ago, so prices are creeping up as stocks go down.

Ric McLaughlin

V-Limited Member
I'm happy to report a bit more progress from this weekend - the new V1/2 bumper is now on.

IMG_5979.jpg

IMG_5978.jpg

I followed @agrabau helpful YouTube guidance as to where all the bolts were located. The only one that gave any bother was the central one in the middle of the lower grille. Of course, there was no obvious way to cut it or get heat on it or anything that felt productive as it just span and span around in its thread - the bolt bodger strikes again! I eventually got it sorted by putting another nut on to the back of it and winding a load of torque on to it until it sheered and I could get on with my Sunday.

There are probably a million obvious reasons why people use them but in my relatively short experience of working on cars plastic trim clips are becoming a massive bugbear of mine. Soft plastic Philips head screws?! Enraging. I started assembling the new bumper on to the bumper bar and quickly abandoned the idea of using my big box of eBay trim fasteners. I had a coffee and a think and then set about cutting the lower legs off a handful of them to create plastic washers with a lower lip that sat in the bumper slots perfectly then secured them in place with 10mm zinc'd nuts and bolts. It's all trial and error of course and time will tell if the lights will clear them (if not, I can always just run the plastics for the affected area) but it feels like a better, tidier solution than the super-soft plastic ones.

IMG_5977.jpg

I also managed to remove the lower brake ducts too, later in the evening.

I'm really happy with the results - the older shape car has a flatter nosed face to it somehow and to see it on my car was another cool moment in the build. I now just need some bumper indicators and fog lamp covers to have that bit sorted. A new front axle is also sadly on the list now too as it looks like an outer CV has sprung a leak. Which is annoying. There's a good chance it was nicked when I was swapping the coilovers and is squarely being put down to the pain in the arse that is working in a one-car garage.

Ric McLaughlin

V-Limited Member
Got the lights and grille in the post yesterday and mounted them up last night. I don't know why but somehow that area of a car makes or breaks the look of it and I'm really excited to see the older face taking shape. The car looks a lot smaller somehow too.

The headlights I found are in pretty decent nick and should clean up nicely with a bit of work. The grille has a silver lower that I need to work out what to do with when it comes time to paint. The only issue I encountered was the bracket that holds the LHS of the radiator, bonnet stay clip and horn which sat too proud of the bulkhead meaning that the grille wouldn't fit so I need to work that out. For the time being I've removed it and relocated the horn slightly.

IMG_6016.jpg
Next up, finding a bonnet... And a front driveshaft :swear:.

Kev_STI

V-Limited Member
ICP have a new pre face alloy bonnet on eBay, also couple of other seller with used, shouldn't be too hard to find. :thumb

cuili1

V-Limited Member
ICP do new CV gaters. No need to change the drive shaft (or front axle as your calling it)

Ric McLaughlin

V-Limited Member
ICP have a new pre face alloy bonnet on eBay, also couple of other seller with used, shouldn't be too hard to find. :thumb

You're an enabler @Kev_STI ! :D There's a clean looking one on there at the minute reasonably local to me. I contacted the seller about it and he responded with a demand for more money than it was actually advertised on eBay for and refused to budge on it. I hopefully have a lead on another one. Much as I'd like the fresh ICP one, the money is eye-watering and it's collection only I think.

Kev_STI

V-Limited Member
You're an enabler @Kev_STI ! :D There's a clean looking one on there at the minute reasonably local to me. I contacted the seller about it and he responded with a demand for more money than it was actually advertised on eBay for and refused to budge on it. I hopefully have a lead on another one. Much as I'd like the fresh ICP one, the money is eye-watering and it's collection only I think.
eBay fun, pretty special at times!

Yes expensive for new, although in a couple of years time we'll be wishing for these prices :D