Mot failure - help and advice please...

SUBGT

V-Limited Member
If the 200cpsi cat is hot it shouldn't be too difficult to pass the less stringent emissions from 1996.

DaveD

V-Limited Member
Shame about the DVLA registration! However, sounds like you've got a way forward. Hope you have it back on the road soon.

RA Graham

V-Limited Member
Try BM catalysts
Reed mill
Sheepbridge lane
Mansfield
NG18 5DL
I got one of them, standard type down pipe and cat .

asperformance

Site Supporter
Does you logbook not state date of first use overseas?? Regardless of registration date here it should be treated as th earlier build date

Mugs

Type RA Member
Thanks again for all of your help with this issue.
I called infinity exhausts near Bristol today and they will make me a custom cat back system with a secondary cat fitted. They too said it will be the hole that’s causing the emissions to go out but the second cat should get it well within limits.
This sparked a memory of my Hawkeye struggling with emissions a few years ago which was a very small leak between the DP and centre pipe so I expect the emissions to be way out with a large leak like the classic has.
I will still need a catted DP to replace the rusty original so will try the places suggested - thanks.
She booked in for tne exhaust on Tuesday 30th and a retest on July 3rd so I’ll keep you posted on the results.
I will dig out the original Japanese paperwork tomorrow in case the tester still fails it but I’m pretty sure it was early ‘94.
Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.

DaveD

V-Limited Member
I'm not sure if you need the second cat, as I think emissions are still pretty relaxed up to around 2000?
Maybe get the old centre pipe removed and first check whether it is just a resonator section or a cat and then replace it with same. Hopefully, if it's a resonator, it will save you a few quid!

Mugs

Type RA Member
I'm not sure if you need the second cat, as I think emissions are still pretty relaxed up to around 2000?
Maybe get the old centre pipe removed and first check whether it is just a resonator section or a cat and then replace it with same. Hopefully, if it's a resonator, it will save you a few quid!
I’ve had a look and it’s a cat. We’re not going for power mods so a second cat won’t hurt if it gets it through the mot every year.

Mugs

Type RA Member
Update:
Today we went to infinity exhausts and had a cat back system made with a secondary cat installed. As it only took them a couple of hours we decided to go back to the mot station for a retest and she passed.:bow
So, straight home, got some tax sorted and my wife’s personal plate fitted and out for a little drive with me as a passenger. I forgot she wears a concrete boots when she drives Subaru’s so now I’ve got to remove my finger marks from the passenger side dashboard and unstick the accelerator pedal from the floor carpet but at least I have one happy wife and something to show from my endless days spent in the garage building it:thumb
Thanks again for all your help.