Mafless

Discussion in 'General Impreza WRX chat' started by Craigwagon, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Craigwagon

Craigwagon Type RA Member

Right planning for further down the road with my build. I want to remove my maf. I'm sure the car runs mafless just now but the maf is still there and used for something else. My question is what do I need so I can remove it of the car. What other sensors would I need to fit in its place. Also should I be looking to fit an aftermarket 3 port boost solenoid aswell.
    Car runs an alkatec ecu just now but might change when time for mapping comes.

2. SUBGT

SUBGT Type RA Member

Link G4X plugin + Intake air temp sensor to install and you can remove the MAF.
    Some other prone for ESL boards, I couldn't get any answer from their custommer service back then so I'd rather go Link.

IAT will be requiered with esl board too.

3. Craigwagon

Ye am thinking of going link or syvecs.
    Are the alkatec ECU worth anything second hand.

4. Paul73

Paul73 V-Limited Member

Not much I would suspect

The customer support has been a bit iffy and my mapper dropped them (still supports ones he supplied and/or mapped) and went to Link G4+

My car runs the updated version of the Alcatek from about 2 years ago as the previous version fitted couldn't be upgraded so had to buy a new one

Best bet is to put up for sale if you do get a different ECU tell any potential buyers who mapped and see if the mapper who dealt with it can still provide support

5. bang

bang Type RA Member

i have link g4 , i use inlet air temperature sensor , barometric sensor (internal of the link ecu ) and oem pressure sensor

6. Savage Bulldogs

Savage Bulldogs V-Limited Member

Think some mappers use the maf plug wires to run the input from a ait sensor to the ECU when running mafless.

Having a ait sensor definitely helps with fuel trims when running mafless on a road car , a 3 port does give the mapper better control over the boost too .

A link g4+ is definitely what I'll be getting, when I eventually up grade from my current apexi . They seem to have a lot of features and good support compared to some other brands .

7. SUBGT

SUBGT Type RA Member

you would need to modify a bit the wiring going to the Link ECU as the input for the MAF is a regular analog input while the IAT sensor requiers either ANtemp input or add a pull-up resistor to that regular ANvolt.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. Savage Bulldogs

Savage Bulldogs V-Limited Member

Seing as craig said he thought the maf was being used for something else , I thought it might have been that the maf plug wires that were being used for something else (not the maf itself).
    I wouldn't know about link tbh, as I haven't owned one yet and I'm a ok spanner monkey but sparks isn't my forte :D

It was just When I had my old v3 UK on esl ,Simon roe (rip bud) used the maf plug wires to run the ait sensor readings to the esl ECU .
    So just thought you might be able to do the same on alkatek ?

9. Craigwagon

Ye think I'm going to need to sit down and see what way im going to go ecu way then go speak to a mapper. Dno if any one up here still maps alkatec. Andy Forrest doesn't and it was him that mapped it in the first place.
    Have thot about
    Link
    Syvecs
    Haltek
    Also not sure on who to get to map the car this time either. Locatio

10. 1509joe

1509joe V-Limited Member

Yes you can :thumb

• Useful Useful x 1