Impreza Type R V5 Limited

Discussion in 'Projects, modifications & how to guides' started by Ric McLaughlin, Jan 7, 2019.

1. funkyrimpler

funkyrimpler V-Limited Member

2. cuili1

cuili1 V-Limited Member

3. funkyrimpler

Final drive ratios are the same dude. Both 4.444

4. tekkerchrede

tekkerchrede V-Limited Member

So now we know the RA is superior to the R as it can reverse a tad faster. ;)

• Funny Funny x 5
  5. PeteRA

PeteRA V-Limited Member

You just don’t know how handy that is in a robbery Christian :giggle::giggle::giggle:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. AbbasSTI

AbbasSTI Type RA Member

The blue seats for sale @Ric McLaughlin aren't three originals for a V5 Type R Ltd are they? Originals should be like:

Attached Files:

7. Ric McLaughlin

Ric McLaughlin Type RA Member

Definitely agree with this - we're all winning really! I think the myriad of versions, variations and specs is what makes particularly the older Impreza's so interesting. As I've said, I was sold on getting a '96 RA but did a bit of reading up then when I saw my V5 R for sale knew that it was the car for me. Am definitely using it too, it's far too good a car and I worked to hard to own it to tuck it away.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. funkyrimpler

to me, these are the nicest seats Subaru ever made. Mine don't have the lower red sadly... I had RB5 seats in my UK2000, which were essentially the same as the 22B minus some embroidery, but man, they were agony after 20 minutes... I have no idea why, but the seat pads were abysmal...
    Looked nice though..

9. Ric McLaughlin

Finally got round to a little job that I've been meaning to tackle for a while; replacing the dated looking clear side repeaters and front indicators with the OEM orange numbers. I decided to take the time to paint the orange bumper vents black in the process to avoid a wall of orange up front and to give a bit of a nod towards the 22B and S5/6 WRC cars.

The indicators and repeaters were easy to source from Import Car Parts and came with the proper bulbs. The ones on there popped out pretty easily with the exception of one of the bumper indicators which needed a bit of a leverage to get the screw to catch a thread. Plastic can be tricky to paint so I gave the vents two coats of primer, two coats of gloss black and two coats of lacquer to try and get them looking as tidy as possible.

I'm really happy with the results, they change the front of the car completely, well, to my eyes anyway.
    IMG_0052.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  10. Ric McLaughlin

Something which I was keen to replace before I even clapped eyes on the car was the exhaust. The Fujitsubo system, having done a bit of research and looked it over in the metal is a terrific piece of craftsmanship and on paper, I was keen to keep it in place. It's quiet at motorway revs (not many thanks to the horrifically short fifth) but growly enough when driven harder. That said, the rumble wasn't there and I really hated the 4in dustbin look out the back of the car. It was entirely personal but then buying a car like this is always going to be an indulgence so I set off on a trawl of what I could get to replace it.

Hayward & Scott's Group A replica rear section seemed to be a good place to start. I had a load of 'alone in the middle of the night' changes of heart for fear of it being too loud but eventually decided that if it was, I could always change it. The centre ended up being the Cobra Sport resonated section (my thinking was that if it did prove too loud at a track day I had a resonator to at least point at and plead ignorance off the back of). After many hours of forum browsing I decided on a 2.5in mid and rear section to help keep a cap on noise and promote some 'rasp'. Andy at RA Motorsport then recommended a 3in downpipe to free up some back pressure and get the coveted pops and bangs. So, in short, I wanted my cake and to eat it too.

I fitted the system myself (with help from YouTube) and the hardest bit was definitely freeing up the nuts on the studs on the back of the turbo. A full can of propane gas, a full can of WD40 and a rounded nut removal tool sourced from Amazon eventually shifted them. Noise-wise, it's definitely loud but once warmed, settles nicely. On the gas it sounds amazing and definitely produces 'that' noise I heard growing up and watching these cars rallying. When hot it gives the odd pop on the over-run too.

NB - I know that my rear license plate holder is wonky. That's on the list of 'minor stuff' for now.

IMG_3514.JPG

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6