Hatch grb spec c trans and diff oil change

Discussion in 'Subaru Impreza Spec-C help & advice' started by Hedgecutter, Nov 10, 2019 at 4:36 PM.

1. Hedgecutter

Hedgecutter Type RA Member

This may help a fellow hatch spec C owner avoid the mistake that I made, although they will probably be a bit more switched on than me. Just done my 2nd gearbox and diff oil change at 53000 miles, having done the 1st one at 25000 miles. The hatch spec C has a mechanical rear diff, and although I have a jap manual, it wasn't clear what oil to use , so 75-90 LS oil was used front and rear, and it was quite noisy.
    This time, with the aid of google translate, it was clear the diff oil should be Subaru LSD oil, which was originally a 90 ls oil. So I used one litre of Titan race gear LS 90 in the rear diff, and 4.1 litres Millers crx 75w90nt+ in the front.
    If you have the STI flexible lower chassis brace at the front, it will obstruct the front diff sump plug, so one side of the bar needs to be taken off.
    There was hardly any metal on the sump magnets, so little harm seems to have occurred over 28000 miles, and the drive train all sounds much quieter.

2. asperformance

asperformance Site Supporter

You should never use LS spec oil in a Synchro transmission......

We could easily have sorted both the supply and the correct information for you as we have done for 20yrs or so.....:thumb

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Hedgecutter

I believe I did speak to you at the time.

4. asperformance

Not sure who you spoke to but thats isn't something we / i would ever recomend???

5. Hedgecutter

I'll correct myself there; Millers crx 75w90nt+ was used in the front originally, and Millers 75w90LS motorsport in the rear diff.
    It's now much smoother on the overrun, and much quieter. It was due, as well.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. asperformance

That makes more sense...........