GC8 Roof vent fittings

Artyscoob

Turbo 2000 and version 6 Sti RA V ltd
After a very wet Curborough yesterday we had water dripping off the screw in the locking handle.
Despite the screw being quite tight theres still a fair amount of play in the roof top button within the rubber washer in the roof flap.

Have I got a complete set needed to secure the roof button ? Does it need the two washers ? As per picture 20210504_161709.jpg

Thanks

Bizz

V-Limited Member
I repainted the button on mine and put a single new rubber washer under it, I used a tap washer and it was a perfect fit and hasn't leaked. It only had a single washer when I removed it.

Artyscoob

I repainted the button on mine and put a single new rubber washer under it, I used a tap washer and it was a perfect fit and hasn't leaked. It only had a single washer when I removed it.
Does yours have the two metal washers that act as spacers under the bracket on the inside of the car ?

Bizz

V-Limited Member
I will have a look when I get home.

From memory I added some washers inside to make the latch less tight as it was really hard to close and the previous handle snapped across one of the roll pin holes.

Bizz

V-Limited Member
I just searched for the right internal and external diameter and got the thinnest I could, can't remember the thickness as it was over 10 years ago now.

Artyscoob

So some 1.5mm thick rubber washers (18mm outside diameter / 9mm inside diameter) arrived today; 20nr minimum order !
First fitting attempt was just with the new washer; all looked snug but unfortunately on opening and closing the vent the metal button moves around in the whole potentially marking the paintwork
A sleeved rubber washer IS required as per the OEM to stop this happening.
I ended up using both which made up for the compressed OEM sleeved washer. All fits nice and tight, it just stands a bit taller.
So its back to finding a proper sleeved rubber washer (or making one)

Attachments

• IMG_20210508_165330.jpg
    IMG_20210508_165330.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20210508_165626.jpg
    IMG_20210508_165626.jpg
    346.9 KB · Views: 1