GC8 radiator fans advice

Imran Mughal

Type RA Member
Hi,
From what I remember, there’s a primary fan and a secondary fan. Could someone kindly clarify when exactly the fans should come on from cold start up and do they both kick in simultaneously or does just one fan come on at a time?
Thanks.
IM

1509joe

V-Limited Member
D/S primary
P/S aircon and secondary.
In reality unless you've a problem or driving hard secondary fan doesn't usually come on unless you turn the aircon on.
Just seen where you live swap D/S and P/S

Imran Mughal

Type RA Member
Thanks for the reply!

So the fan that comes on first in mine is the passenger side one - this is the 5 blade fan.
The other fan (driver side, 4 blade) comes on during hard driving or when the AC is switched on.
Is that how they should work?
Also please explain why I should swap them as you suggested?

1509joe

V-Limited Member
No didn't mean physically swap them I meant with you being left hand drive it would be the other way round.

Imran Mughal

Type RA Member
Thanks for the reply!

So the fan that comes on first in mine is the passenger side one - this is the 5 blade fan.
The other fan (driver side, 4 blade) comes on during hard driving or when the AC is switched on.
Is that how they should work?
Also please explain why I should swap them as you suggested?
Can anybody tell me if my fans are
a). In the correct position
b). Coming on in the correct order/time

regards

Imran Mughal

Type RA Member
Ok so I checked/tested with a couple of other GC8s and it turns out that BOTH fans should come on simultaneously. As I explained earlier, my primary fan (driver’s side) doesn’t seem to be functioning. I found it to be a blown fuse (20amp) which I changed but it keeps on blowing the fuse after a few minutes.... I’ve changed them thrice already.
So it’s obviously electrical issue with the wiring - maybe a short circuit somewhere.
Any suggestions on where to start looking?
regards
IM