Exhausts/ Silencing.. Trackdays 98db

Discussion in 'General Impreza WRX chat' started by James_RScos, Oct 9, 2019.

1. James_RScos

James_RScos V-Limited Member

Hi All, afternoon.

Iv booked myself onto Donington Xmas track day after returning from the Nurburgring and somewhat got my track bug back, oh the expense!! :cry::rofl: I will do a little thread on my Ring trip at some point.

Right, Exhaust. I’m currently running a H&S full group A system, 3” down pipe no cat to 2.5” centre pipe no boxes and 2.5” back box...
    It sounds amazing, but is very very loud. Kev the previous owner tells me he tested it at 4K revs on his phone and got around the 114db level.

Iv already had a chat with H&S on ways to get it quieter, but for just a track day solution it’s getting expensive as in normal road configuration it will retain the H&S full fat system.

So what are other doing to get down to 98db?
    Systems? Solutions?

Is anyone running any kind of large silencer/ box behind the rear bumper/ under the floor from left to right with say a downwards facing tip that could reduce the noise enough?

I’m all ears, Thanks in advance...
    JB:cool:

2. PeteRA

PeteRA love everything GC8

James, the GRP N H&S back box should be quiet enough for track days iirc?? Just a straight swap.

• Like Like x 1
  3. James_RScos

Hi Pete, just had another look through the listings on H&S, nothing listed for Group N. Where have you seen this?

4. benji

benji V-Limited Member

Source a Prodrive/scorpion silencer this will bolt straight in and bring your noise down,
    only x2 14mm bolts and 3rubbers quick 15min swap to revert.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kev_STI

Kev_STI V-Limited Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. James_RScos

Hi benji,

Do you have first hand experience with this? Sorry to sound untrusting, I just want to be sure I’m going the right route before sending the monies. Are we talking back box? Not centre silencer.

7. James_RScos

Cheers Kev,

The guys at H&S said that box with a centre section should get me around the 98db mark but just very vague!! So I’m just so unsure where to go with this. Iv got a friend that favs for Milltek so I’m going to talk with him tonight and get some advice.
    I suppose I could buy the back box first hen retest the car and see where I am, then go from there.

8. Kev_STI

Kev_STI V-Limited Member

I think a good size back box will be the first point, although yes it may require some centre silencing too without running a cat. Maybe @Fatharrydog or @Winchester have a better idea being on track al and their noise tests?

• Like Like x 1
  9. benji

benji V-Limited Member

10. benji

benji V-Limited Member

mines full decatted 3inch into 2.5 no res just a prodrive exhaust box its not that loud but im also twin scroll so the noise tone is shit lol but maybe more or less db because T/s over a s/s set up

• Like Like x 1