Detroit Motor Show/Impreza

Discussion in 'General Impreza WRX chat' started by Etheridge-Bird, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Etheridge-Bird

Etheridge-Bird Moderator

2. funkyrimpler

funkyrimpler V-Limited Member

From what I've read, the new Supra is essentially a BMW, and will not be the beast we all hoped it would be...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. funkyrimpler

In fact there are precious few cool Japanese performance cars at the moment/ Toyota have nothing except for the GT86 which is a half arsed Subaru/Toyota but without the character of either, the GTR, HOnda have the Civic but it looks like it was styled by a child, the current 'WRX' really doesn't have any relation to the heritage of the marque... I guess the market isn't what it used to be..Plus Euro makers have built some really good cars over the last 15 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Topper Harley

Topper Harley V-Limited Member

It is a pity that BMW had an involvement but that's nothing new. The last models of diesel RAV4 and Avensis have had a BMW diesel engine. You have to wonder who in Toyota made that decision to put an absolute heap of shit in their cars :swear: . BMW one of the most over rated heaps of scrap on the road .

Thank god for HYBRID :bow .

Can't agree with you on the Civic R I think it looks class or that the GT86/BRZ was half arsed . It's sold fairly well :thumb .

5. Paul92

Paul92 V-Limited Member

BMW engines are not that bad and the A80 with the 2JZ GTE was not a monster without amounts of cash thrown into it. The new Supra will have plenty of potential.
    The market has changed yes, and it works with demand and supply.

• Like Like x 1
  6. funkyrimpler

I agree with the first point but not the second.
    BMW are over rated crap. The driver is totally insulated from the drive and there is little to no sense of speed and little to no driver involvement... Boring despite some huge figures on paper.. Particularly the M5.. But I've seen the videos on youtube where a guy is reviewing it and casually chatting to the passenger as he screams up the road... No involvement whatsoever, and no skill required.
    As for the Civic.. I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but it just looks over styled to me. As metal pressing, and plastics technology has evolved it's allowed for more extreme angular designs, but I just don't think it hangs well on the Civic, or Juke, or any number of current cars for that matter. The fake air vents, scoops etc
    The GT86 is a bit.. 'meh'.. No real performance and again, in my view, bland styling.. Perhaps if it had a serious engine it would have more credibility, but had this been made in the 90's it would be akin to a Celica GT (which was based on the Corolla)... A nice car, but a toothless tiger.

• Like Like x 1
  7. benji

benji Type RA Member

• Like Like x 1