Can can help.......ruined my track day today

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by BIlly, May 12, 2019.

1. BIlly

BIlly Type RA Member

hi all. Hope this not in wrong section

It’s my first track day since I fitted an rcm return to sump catch can. After about 5 laps toady I was red flagged for smoke.

So we checked the car. I’d read somewhere on a forum to run the breather pipe from rcm catchcan to atmosphere under the car. So mine was about halfway along car and had dumped a load of oil out. Covered all underside of car and other peoples windscreens and bumpers. So I thought I’d over filled the engine oil. Turns out I’d not.

So, having checked the oil level on dipstick, there was none showing, we topped up the oil. Then ran the catchcan breather up along side battery and bodged a plastic bottle to collect any drips of oil from breather.

Out again for next session, still smoking after about 3 laps. Car back in pits. This time oil all over engine; battery, all that side. Zero oil showing on dipstick again.

I just don’t understand what’s going on. Any one any ideas? Thankyou

2. benji

benji V-Limited Member

How have you run the catch can ?
    In theory there should only be vapour in the pipe not oil
    , which sounds like it’s building pressure and firing it out the easiest route .

3. BIlly

BIlly Type RA Member

Yes I think something wrong. It’s never been noticed during usual road driving but can’t compre that to flat out on track

No instructions with the Rcm big money catch can so had to search forums etc.

Ran all three inlet ports to the two rocker cover vents and pcv. Then bottom screwed fitting back to sump with supplied braided hose

4. BIlly

BIlly Type RA Member

5. cuili1

cuili1 V-Limited Member

That’s the one I was using, with no issues and I done regular track days with it, so something isn’t right.
    But, sorry, I’ve moved on to dry sump now and can’t remember how it was plumbed!

6. BIlly

BIlly Type RA Member

When I purchased it , there were no paper instructions and the website link didn’t work annoyingly. Rushing wanting to get cracking I didn’t ask RCM for instruction. Now the instructions link works with photos. Looks like I’ve gone some where wrong with the pcv. I can’t see clearly till I take off the IC. Also need the remove and plug the pcv valve from inlet manifold. Def some parts were missing from my kit. Had I seen the blanking plug and elbow fitting for the crankcase breather I’d of definitely done it right. Oh well at least I didn’t damage my motor today. Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  7. benji

benji V-Limited Member

Well at least it looks like you know whats up.

I run the OBP 3 port and i ran each head individually to the can, the ran a larger 16mm i think hose from the crank direct to the 3rd port on the can,
    ran the top breather of the can just down to the floor using P-clips to secure it, mines not a return to sump so will drain out when needed.

8. benji

benji V-Limited Member

08666E90-604E-454A-A51A-55E565CDDED0.png

• Like Like x 1
  9. BIlly

BIlly Type RA Member

Alright boys,

got my RCM catchcan piped up correctly now.

Theres hellish steam/pluming from the catchcan breather under the car.

How much are you boys getting? or is this a sign of a tired engine? 95k on my motor. I will need to extend the pipe to the rear of the car, it looks awful to anyone alongside the car.

Thanks

10. asperformance

asperformance Site Supporter

If you remove the oil filler cap does it show the same??