Came across these guards today

Discussion in 'General Impreza WRX chat' started by Michaelfee, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Michaelfee

Michaelfee WRX TYPE RA V3

I freshened up my rear brakes today and noticed these small guards on the bottom of the rear strut, they seem to be guarding the cv joint or something, the car has got a diff guard, tank guard, sump guard and also an “sti” stamped cage fitted.... has anyone ever come across these before?
    4DCFE1BE-1C58-4170-893B-9D454BB57169.jpeg
    C1E33EEE-8E6A-4895-A053-D0EA96F02B49.jpeg
    7929A51A-1347-4394-A123-52EF788FC30C.jpeg
    1515FA72-33C4-4EB6-BABB-0323808034CA.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  2. tekkerchrede

tekkerchrede V-Limited Member

Yes, they appear from time to time. Mostly for gravel driving I would assume. The ones I have seen are more curved compared to your boxy ones. They appear to be well-made, but not sure it is a genuine Subaru item.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Michaelfee

I never even thought to look for any stamps/markings, nice little discovery I suppose

4. tekkerchrede

tekkerchrede V-Limited Member

Definitely is a nice touch to the car. It seems that STi was not much into branding on the early parts, i.e. early diff guard like yours has no stamps, whereas the later one does, but only "STi". The R180 rear diff guard has part number engraved together with STi, if I am correct.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Michaelfee

ABC687E0-1109-4909-A867-C0A05AC75099.jpeg

The cage in the car is stamped with “STI”, must take a closer look at the other guards some time

• Like Like x 4
  6. benji

benji Type RA Member

Ooo nice, well spec'ed from factory car.
    That chassis tho is clean.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Michaelfee

Every time I go to do something on the car I find something new, I wonder is there such a brochure showing optional extras such as guards etc, I must start searching google, it would be nice to know if all the guards and cage are actually factory options

• Like Like x 1
  8. type-ra

type-ra Administrator

All the parts are listed in the brochures. They do differ from year to year & from the regular accessories brochure to the STi Sports Parts brochure:thumb

• Helpful Helpful x 3