5 speed box to 6 speed..more understanding

Discussion in 'General Impreza WRX chat' started by Bry with a y, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Bry with a y

Bry with a y V-Limited Member

Is it right you can't map the jdm ecu? I know it's all standard in mine, it's just the drive from the classics that I love,if I want power then my black baby is for that :)

2. FrankC

FrankC Type RA Member

If memory serves. V5/6 Ecu can be mapped via Ecutek. Older models require Ecu replacement

3. PeteRA

PeteRA No1 show attender

Mine made a nice 317 bhp and 312 ft/Ib @Burt2000 and tbh it's great on the road. Put it this way, it'll out do my driving capability anyway. Lol

• Like Like x 1
  4. funkyrimpler

funkyrimpler V-Limited Member

that's music to my ears because I should be getting mine back next week after being converted. I was hoping it wouldn't ruin the drive. I love the short ratios of the TY752 box but not the fragility. Getting the Type R with the 6 speed has me a little nervous as I don't want the car to have lost it's mojo..
    I'm currently running just under 360hp but as i wanted to increase power and torque I've had no choice but to upgrade it. It's a very large expense to cross the line though, and then you still have to shell out for the new power mods...
    It's not a cheap game this Impreza thing...

5. funkyrimpler

Agreed. Its the torque that gives you the thrills and grunt, rather than screaming revs...If you've ever driven a V-Tec, or worse, a rotary, you'll know what horsepower without torque feels like...gutless and frantic..but some people love that..it's like riding a 250cc 2-stroke bike I suppose...AS I've said before, my 5 speed has never given me any grief but it was rebuilt a couple of thousand miles ago because it had a worn syncro...When blasting the thing around the B roads Ive always been careful to let everything line up before slotting into the new gear, but that ruin the flow of the drive...
    Whilst i've been having the box fitted, I've had a new lightened flywheel to offset the increased inertia (particularly pre power increase) and a new, 6 speed Exedy clutch.. Touch wood, I should be able to just blast up and down the box without having to worry about collecting bits of swarf and teeth..
    I don't fancy opening up a gearbox and find a metal Toblerone in the bottom of it...
    BTW..I bet you will map it!! >:)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Burt2000

Burt2000 V-Limited Member

yeah owned a few Hondas in my time, the best being an EG shape Civic VTI, I did love the the vtec crossover on it though a lot more noticeable than modern vtecs plus I was about 20 so liked revving the nuts off it lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. funkyrimpler

I had an RX7 back in the day..Gorgeous thing in dark green, almost black...But you had to get absolutely medieval with it before it would go anywhere, then you could enjoy watching the fuel gauge drop at the same rate as the temp gauge increased...Another 'never meet your heroes'...lovely looking thing though and like an F16 inside..I got rid after a few months..couldn't stand it...Big money now too...
    E46 M3....now those things really are gutless...I used to wince when she came on song for those last couple of thousand revs...the screaming made my teeth itch...It always felt like it was about to blow up..which to be fair, most of them do....and if they don't, they simply tear their bodyshells apart like wet Bavarian cardboard lederhosen.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Joe v3sti

Joe v3sti Type RA Member

Remember guys some 6speeds are knocking on a bit now. They arnt bullet proof, early ones are nearly 20 years old!
    I've broken 2 and have loads of friends who have broken them.

Non the less, certainly an upgrade over a 5speed, despite the enormous weight penalty.

If you turn up the power enough, ratios arnt as important ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Burt2000

Burt2000 V-Limited Member

you've described the M3 perfectly! I think I sold mine after 6 months, the dark hole between 3-5k where nothing happened then as you say the last few k revs sounded great and pulled like a train, just had to be in the right gear I suppose. Itswas great craic on an empty open road but that was about it.

10. funkyrimpler

Yes and no I would say... You're right about the black hole, but i think that created a false impression of power at the top end. The gearing was too tall and the rear diff ratio was too tall. On the snotty M3 Cutters forum, someone worked out that on stock gearing the theoretical top speed was almost 200mph! It was okay on an empty B road, but you hardly change gear. Plus, they feel heavy, exacerbated by the numb steering, unsupportive slippery seats and brakes made from dried Loofahs... Luckily I was too worried about the VANOS going airborne and listening for shearing boot floor noises to be distracted by it's mediocrity. I got rid of mine too after 6 months, whereupon I discovered I was a natural tap dancer as I skipped up the driveway like Wayne Sleep.

• Funny Funny x 2