235/45/17 Tyre advice

Hedgecutter

Type RA Member
All I would say is that Goodyear asymmetrics are not in the same league at all, definitely not on track.
I don't know if Michelin pilot super sports are available in your size, but I have run them on my spec c for the last 4 years, around £130 a corner 245 40 18. Don't forget the old Bridgestone re070 too, came standard on the spec c hatch.
Shame about the 08r's, I was about to try them.

Adam.pah

V-Limited Member
All I would say is that Goodyear asymmetrics are not in the same league at all, definitely not on track.
I don't know if Michelin pilot super sports are available in your size, but I have run them on my spec c for the last 4 years, around £130 a corner 245 40 18. Don't forget the old Bridgestone re070 too, came standard on the spec c hatch.

@Hedgecutter thanks for the input. The super sports do have good reviews but are not available in this size unfortunately. I would have gone with the potenza’s but they have also discontinued this size. I pulled the trigger on tyre choice last week, I had my mind set on the AD08RS but the terrible reviews put me off and I went with the PS4 at the last minute. I still haven’t collected the car yet as there are delays with the registration but will give some feedback once I have it.

Scratch

Type RA Member
Agree the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric are not a track tyre they are a road tyre. But Goodyear do now make a track specific range of tyres in the Eagle F1 range, I think they have called them a supersport too, but I think they also only start at 18" (so no good for me as my spec c is on 17"). Bits and pieces I've read seem to give them a good review, but like the cup, cup 2, supersport in the michelin, there are a number of variants in the goodyear track tyre.

Also not tried the 595 pro, but really pleased with the 595 that I have.

plenty

Type RA Member
Just want to confirm if we are talking about the older Asymmetric 2/3 or the latest Asymmetric 5. Forgive me for raising it but PSS and especially RE070 are old technology that have been surpassed.

The latest Goodyears are a big step on, with the Asymmetric 5 comparable to PS4 and the F1 Supersport comparable to the PS4S. However, as always they do not wear as well as the equivalent Michelins.

Last edited:

Hedgecutter

Type RA Member
Ha, I haven't had to buy for 3 years, so things have moved on.!!
PSS was replaced by PS4S, with the cup range always running alongside, but very much more track oriented.
Anyway PSS aren't size relevant to the op, but they are exceptional in the dry and can be had for a bargain, if any are left.
I'm saving for cup 2's but seeing conflicting size availability in 245 40 18; latest ones seem to be 19" upwards

Methlicktom

Type RA Member
I run the supersports in 225 40 18 . Also run the ps4 as well on a classic and daily volvo.

Much prefer the Goodyear for handling feedback, turn in and wet grip compared to the ps4. Witch after 5k miles each on the front on the daily had sliglt better wear. But that's to be expected.

Personally in your size the ad08r ( as above not the s) or the ps4's for more track work

Bealey

V-Limited Member
Not wanting to stir up possibly old news but following this as may be going for a new set in the new year and currently have re070 but am I right to assume they have been replaced now?

Methlicktom

Type RA Member
Not wanting to stir up possibly old news but following this as may be going for a new set in the new year and currently have re070 but am I right to assume they have been replaced now?
I have tried looking for the re070 but cant find any anywhere. Even tyre reviews doesnt offer a replacement or advice

CAR VX - Japan’s First Vehicle History Reports Service

Latest posts