1997 Subaru STi Type-R Coupe

Ok, firstly apologies for the lack of updates, life has been a bit time poor lately.

I finally managed to see the car in April at FC Autosource in Tokyo who have been patiently storing it for me.

I am pleased to report that she is a full Japanese shitter that has had a life :)

I was able to leave FC with a bit of a shopping list which I'll try to get on soon. From FC I headed north to go and visit Launsport. Despite them having someone who speaks English on staff, there was still a bit of a language barrier, but I was able to see my bodykit and wheels, and some other cars they had in the workshop at the time.

Unfortunately that's where that ended as despite lining up Dino from Speedhunters to cover the cars build at Launsport, they politely declined to have the car featured as they didn't want their method of building the widebody cars being public knowledge, which I can appreciated, but also it means I didnt get any progress pics during the entire build.

Yesterday morning however I was sent some pictures to show the cars progress as it is nearly finished.

Firstly, I can't believe that is that same car that I sent them, they have gone above and beyond and replaced a few worn clips and trims that were needed. The pictures look amazing!

However this is slightly problematic as I was initially told a late June or early July completion date and I had made arrangements to fly over and see the car before it leaves and heads back to FC Autosource for short storage before shipping it to Australia.

First world problems hey!

Launsport are currently getting some tires organized for the Speedlines, and are in the process of getting the mirrors painted. So hopefully get some better shots of the car this week.

I am currently in the process of trying to source some needed replacement parts to either fit in Australia or have Danny fit. I most likely will press ahead with having Dino take some photos in Japan before sending it home.

So a basic shopping list I've put together based on my visit to the car;

• New ariel
  • New front bumper indicators
  • New front indicators / park lights
  • New switch blanks
  • New roof lining grommet
  • New / Replacement inner mirror over (LHS)
  • New inner door hand (RHS)
I've noticed Roger Clarke has a few of these bits in stock, and hoping most are available NOS.

Now the car is nearly finished panel and paint wise (for now at least), I'll begin collecting bits for the Brembo conversion, but I have seen a few sets of NOS P1 front brakes on ebay which are getting fairly tempting for me. Any thoughts on these?

• New ariel
  • New switch blanks
I've noticed Roger Clarke has a few of these bits in stock, and hoping most are available NOS.

Now the car is nearly finished panel and paint wise (for now at least), I'll begin collecting bits for the Brembo conversion, but I have seen a few sets of NOS P1 front brakes on ebay which are getting fairly tempting for me. Any thoughts on these?
Car is looking great :thumb

Alyn @asperformance will likely have all the brake parts you need.

• New ariel
  • New switch blanks

Not sure what you mean by NOS P1 brakes??
If you mean the optional Prodrive / Alcon Caliper then they have been remanufactured so are brand new and not NOS…..
We can assist with most of the above chassis wise as well as the OE parts potentially

Not sure what you mean by NOS P1 brakes??
If you mean the optional Prodrive / Alcon Caliper then they have been remanufactured so are brand new and not NOS…..
We can assist with most of the above chassis wise as well as the OE parts potentially

Thanks for cleaning that up! Yeah I have seen a few of those Prodrive 4 pot kits floating about on eBay, I thought one listing was for "NOS P1". I will definitely sing out shortly when the time is right. Is there a recommended or matching option for the rear brakes?

We are hoping the tires are at Launsport by Friday and mounted shortly after with some updated pictures through shortly.

In general how have you found Launsport to deal with remotely? I am considering chatting them about purchasing a wing and front bumper for my GD chassis but ahvent started the conversation yet

Eita is really easy to deal with, but I haven't had to get them to organize shipping for me, so might be an issue?

You can always use Jesse Streeter to organize items from shops like that if you have troubles dealing direct.

I had small items shipped from L´aunsport. No problem, but they probably use translator, so be clear and use common language. The challenge might be with shipping big body parts?

Thats why using someone like Jesse Streeter might be more beneficial, he's an expert in shipping items and can break down any language barrier. He also passes on his trade pricing if any, so it rarely costs you any more than going direct.

Back