Wheelarch - strip/stonechip/paint/wax

Discussion in 'Impreza Restorations' started by ASJ, Apr 16, 2012.

1. ASJ

ASJ Moderator

Anone used any of these slightly rubbery stone chip paints that you can apply in vulnerable areas (sills/arches) and then paint over in body colour?

I want to apply something in my rear arches. I planned to just dust over in some extra top coat and lacquer but looking more closely the thin OE paint Thinking has chipped and allowed a little surface rust to start. I've rubbed them down now, in places to bare metal, and want to put something a bit more protective back on for the future.

I know hammerite and dynitrol both do them.....any more out there? Pretty sure my local car spares place has something, but not been up there to look specifically yet.

Rgds, Ade

2. sherlk-RA

sherlk-RA Type RA Member

Re: Stonechip paint?

I have used the hammerite stone chip shield under both the front arches, i have the back yet to do. i had no problem painting over it then with normal paint and lacquer.
    I even used it inside the car as protection when i removed the sound deadning, i painted over it then.
    I find it very good stuff and find it is up for the job, its very durable and quite flexible too which is handy as it wont crack. also easy to apply too:cheers:

3. Suberman

Suberman Moderator

Hi Ade,

You may recall i was researching on the different types of sill/arch protection some time back.

From what i've seen, they all seem to fall into either 1 of these 3 types:

1) Wheel arch stone chip protection - spray on and dries very hard. Very permanent
    Sample plate of Dinitrol 445. You can see the scratches inflicted on purpose, but the thing does not chip.
    ai1022.photobucket.com_albums_af343_GSIdude_PB030058.jpg
    RA-R arch
    ai1022.photobucket.com_albums_af343_GSIdude_Issues_IMG_3103.jpg

2) Overpaintable rocker panel / arch stone chip protection - dries but stays slightly rubbery. Can be top coated with paint and lacquer.

OE arch of JDM GDB STI - I think this is what you want?
    ai1022.photobucket.com_albums_af343_GSIdude_Issues_P1020474.jpg

3) Wax/bitumen based Underseal - never really dries, remains tacky so it can self heal when chipped.

atriumphspitfire.rickbaines.com_files_2011_08_IMG_0531_1024x768.jpg

I've always wondered why FHI just left the archs and sills of the RA/Spec Cs bare as the JDM STIs all have stone chip applied. I can't help but point it to them keeping cost as low as possible instead of saving weight, i mean, how much weight can a coat of stone on the archs and along the sills add?!

Even the WRX TR (US model) that doesn't come with side skirts (just like the Spec C) has a coat of stone chip protection.

You can clearly see the stone guard applied to the lower parts of the sills.
    ai1022.photobucket.com_albums_af343_GSIdude_Issues_2808058530036938246S425x425Q85.jpg

If you thinking of doing no.2, the above picture might be of some reference for you if you wanna keep it looking OE. :cheers:

Although the waxoyl type underseal traps dirt and looks messy, i've read that it does indeed give very good rust and chip protection....something to consider.

Not sure how bad the surface rust is, but you might wanna consider a coat of primer after rubbing the surface down to bare metal before stone guarding.

Interesting site on arch protection on a Triumph. http://triumphspitfire.rickbaines.com/using-dinitrol-3125-and-4941/

Errol

4. olly

olly Type RA Member

Have you thought about foil wrapping your arches and sills?
    You know this stuff where people do the whole car,should
    work in the arches.
    http://www.totally-dynamic.co.uk/
    Just a thought,I guess it would work.

Olly:D

5. ASJ

ASJ Moderator

Thanks for that detailed reply Errol Win

Style 2 is the king of thing I was thinking of. I popped into my local shop today and they had a couple of options. I have gone with Tetrosyl Stone Chip. It is a rubbery type finish that can be painted over. I've applied a couple of coats in the main areas of the arch that were stone damaged and it has dried with a slight rippled texture similar to No2.

It states drying time of a couple of hours - touch dry far quicker. I've not given it a couple of coats of sonic blue and will aim to start a few lacquer coats tomorrow some time. So far pleased with it.....

For info, I did treat the areas I'd rubbed down to remove the surface rust with a rust coverter, then applied a couple of coats of zinc primer. My main concern was that the rust may have been coming from the inside, but having stripped the boot lining and also removed the petrol filler to inspect, inside all looks perfect. Sure it's just stone chipping exposing the metal underneath.

Have taken a few pics along the way.....will post once complete.

Rgds, Ade

6. ASJ

ASJ Moderator

Not sure how durable a foil wrap would be in a wheel arch Olly Patience. Then there would be the problem of choosing the design too.....:loll:

The Spitfire wheel arch article shows what a great result you can get, and I'm sure it is effective too. Sadly a black arch on an RA or C just doesn't cut it. Could be tempting for the underfloor though. As Errol and I have mentioned before, our cars do have some 'black' coating in places from the factory. Something to think about for sure.

Rgds, Ade

7. Suberman

Suberman Moderator

Will you be doing the rocker panels / sills as well Ade?

If you don't want to use stone chip on the sills (like the WRX TR pic), you could try using some stone chip film. That's what i have on mine.

I got them from www.xpel.com They come in different types of DIY kits. Rocker panel protection to door sill kits.

Quite easy to apply. Came out quite nicely on mine, and i'm not particularly good with my hands. :loll:

Allow me to rant once more. Not sure whats up with FHI not giving these cars a layer of protection - at least on the archs and jacking points so these cars can be used "normally"! :mad:

I guess the purpose of these RA/Spec Cs were simply to be thrashed and rebuilt.

8. ASJ

ASJ Moderator

Will be doing the sills for sure. A hard masked line along them like your final picture will look just fine. I need to sort out the lower lip damage caused by jacking first though :(

Rocker panel - not familiar with that term over here? Where do you mean...

Something worth looking at for everyone is the fuel filler pipe. It has a plastic shield over part of it. This looks to protect it from stone chips pretty well, but the exposed areas on mine were quite rusty. This was also the case at the lowest point where I guess the crud collects in the plastic cover. I rubbed mine down, applied rust treatment and gave it a coat of gloss black smooth hammerite. Should see it thru another 13 years I hope!

Not sure the paint finish on 13 year old car with near on 100,000 miles under it's belt will be smooth enough to put film on successully...

Rgds, Ade

9. ASJ

ASJ Moderator

Pictures as promised........

In original condition, 13 years of wear and tear on the thin dusting of paint Subaru were kind enough to apply -

[​IMG]

Couple more before shots then one following some light sanding to remove surface rust under the paint -

[​IMG]

Top left - Zinc primer after rust converter applied to bare metal areas.
    Top right - Shot showing the stonechip paint - this is after top coating as the paint was matt white and was near impossible to photograph.
    Bottom left - base colour coat applied
    Bottom right - lacquer coat applied

[​IMG]

Finished :cheers: - note the fuel filler pipe painted in smooth gloss hammerite -

[​IMG]

Rgds, Ade

10. lockley

lockley Well-Known Member

nice work ade i love these type of jobs, good for a few more years there:cheers:

as for applying the film errol talked of,

make sure the area gets clayed before to give a smooth glass like finish to your paint first:cheers:

regards nathan

seens as a few have done this ill start a inner arch renovation thread

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012