What do you guys make of this car?

Discussion in 'JDM Auction Spy' started by agrabau, Aug 2, 2018.

1. agrabau

agrabau Type RA Member

https://www.jp-c.com/auction/item/78465586

Cluster replacement, shows timing belt done. Mileage unknown. 800,000 yen asking price. Seems like top dollar but the underside is very clean. I don't think those stickers will come off without revealing paint damage (does anyone have experience with this?)

Are the wheels original or was this car supposed to have Speedlines?

Thanks for any opinions.

Alex

Attached Files:

2. Pete1968

Pete1968 V-Limited Member

I’d keep the decals on anyway to be honest, personal choice of course. Looks a decent car that, if it’s a solid rot free shell then the rest is workable ;)

3. agrabau

agrabau Type RA Member

They're a bit faded unfortunately. Otherwise, I'd agree. What do you make of the asking price given the unknown mileage?

4. Pete1968

Oh didn’t realise they’re faded. Prices these days are so blooming mixed, it’s difficult what to call a good price, or expensive, then there’s the rest to add on once it lands. Having said that, if like you say it’s a strong shell and you like it then treat yourself, they’re certainly only going to get rarer and more expensive

5. agrabau

agrabau Type RA Member

Thanks Pete. My feeling as well. Maybe others will disagree.

6. Pete1968

Your money and choice my friend, not for pleasing others :thumbthumb I bought a 4 door, lots don’t like them, I do. ;)

7. V3 type r

V3 type r V-Limited Member

Depending on if it's had paint and/or how much it's been polished it could be cut and restored. You would never know until you tested the thickness of the paint on each panel though. All depends on the prices you are forecasting over there in the years to come but from what I've seen people say on here recently the quality of the rare gc8's coming out of Japan now is getting worse so you may end up looking back on it in the near future as a good one

8. type-ra

type-ra Administrator

Those are the correct wheels. I'd guess they are the original decals too given the fade on them.
    I can't see ics fully as I'm on the phone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. Kev_STI

Kev_STI V-Limited Member

I think you would have to have an inspection done over there, i wouldn't get too hung up on mileage but base it purely on condition, it should be fairly straightforward to see if it's a good example, especially if underneath is in excellent shape.

I think if the decals are original I'd be tempted to leave them or at least you have a template to redo them if faded. The rest of the paint if faded a bit will look different if removed but you wouldn't know until you remove the decals.

At £5500 before shipping/servicing etc and assuming it's *in good shape* I think it's a nice buy, shame it's not an RA though! :thumb

• Like Like x 2
  10. type-ra

type-ra Administrator

Another thing to be aware of is the "sunburn" around the decals. My 555 wagon has a few places where you can still read the decals that were removed. Not easily, but they are there.