WelDun1's Ver5 STi Type-R/RA Build

Discussion in 'Projects, modifications & how to guides' started by WelDun1, May 18, 2013.

Thread Readers: 31
  1. WelDun1

WelDun1 Type RA Member

WelDun1's Ver5 STi Type-RA Build

What's up all my Type-RA/R Enthusiasts! As a few of you have seen, I just bought a complete Ver5 STi Type-R(Clip with all the trimmings) to swap into a USDM 95 Impreza L Sedan.
    For those that saw my first few posts on here, you'll remember that SUPER DOOPER NICE Ver6 STi RA WRC limited that I had almost bought, but ended up being a little too spendy for me. I really really wanted that Car too, but instead I bought the Type-R, and I do not regret it whatsoever! It's only had one owner, and only has 37k original miles on it. Everything about the car is very nice, and you can tell it was taken very good care of.
    So this is going to be my "Build Thread"! I will be sharing the next few months of my life with you guys, and I hope not to bore you, and I will do my best to recreate this beautiful machine.
    This first page will be all the specs of my car, and what I have done/going to do as I go along. So bare with me, and feel free to give your opinions, and PLEASE feel free to help me out with whatever problems I run into.

This is what my plan is. I am stripping the 95L that I bought(keep reading and you will see it) down to bare metal chassis. Then I will sand, prep, and paint the entire chassis white, and under carriage with a ceramic black coating and maybe white over that IDK. After the chassis is up to my standard, which is Roger Clark Gobstopper status, I will then start to fit it with all the parts from the Type-R that I bought. I will paint the Xmembers and rear diff with that black 2k ceramic paint from Eastwood, so that everything is nice and clean. NO RUST!!! You will just have to keep reading to see the rest. I have it all mapped out in my cranium, but things change and ideas arrise!
    Hope you all enjoy!!!

I WILL BE UPDATING THIS LIST PERIODICALLY AS MY BUILD PROGRESSES

Engine
    -1999 Ver5 STi Type-R ej207dw1pr
    -Wiseco Pistons
    -Eagle Rods
    -King Bearings
    -A/C Delete

Tranny/Drivetrain:
    -Ver5 STi Type-R TY754VB1CA w/dccd
    -R180 Rear Diff
    -Stage 2 Comp Clutch

Power:
    - Rotated Garrett gtx3071r
    -TiAL .63ar hotside

Exhaust
    -Custom Track Forged UEL Headers
    -Custom Track Forged 3" Rotated Down Pipe
    -Custom Track Forged 3" Rotated Up Pipe
    -Custom Track Forged 1.5" Dump Tube
    -TiAl 44mm MV-R EWG
    -TiAl Q 50mm BOV
    -Greddy FV Series BOV Limited JDM Silver/Red

Intake/Cooling
    -Docs Race Custom FMIC
    -GMS Swap Radiator
    -

Fuel
    -DeatschWerks 300 Fuel pump
    -DW850cc Side Feeds
    -Devils Own DV-30 Methanol Injection

Oil System
    -06+ STi 2.5l Oil Pan
    -KillerB Pick-up
    -KillerB Baffle

Stiff Stuff
    -Megan Coilovers 32 way adjustable or Stock Ver5 Type-R inverted Struts
    -S201 Lateral Links
    -S201 Trailing Arms
    -Whiteline F/R Endlinks
    -Perrin Motor Mounts

Electronics
    -Link G4 Plug N Play ECU
    -Blitz I-D Boost Controller
    -Blitz I-D Power Meter
    -Blitz Dual Turbo Timer Boost Gauge
    -ProSport JDM Series Gauges
    *Boost
    *Oil Pressure
    *WB AFR
    -Relocated Battery Optima Blue Top(Specialty Battery)
    -Custom Grounding

Interior
    -Ver5 STi RA Crank Down Door Cards
    -Grip Royal Halo Steering Wheel
    -NR»G 2.8 Quick Release Hub
    -NR»G Subaru Hub Adapter
    -WC LatheWerks Custom 7" Double Bend Shifter Extension
    -WC LatheWerks White Copolymer Sphere Knob
    -Takata Drift 3&2 Bolt-in Harnesses
    -Alcantara Covered Pillars/Headliner/Rear Speaker Shelf
    -Custom made Rear Seat Delete

Exterior/Aero
    -Resprayed Aspen White(51E)
    -Ver6 STi Front Lip
    -Shaved Antenna
    -Quick Release Front Bumper

Stoppers
    -4/2 Pot Type-R Brakes
    -White Box Slotted Front Rotors
    -Custom Track Forged Stainless Steel Brake Lines

Shoes
    -Ver5 STi "16x7+53 5 Spoke Goldies
    -205/50/16 Potenza RE11
    -

Sent to you using TapaTalk with my Mind!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  2. WelDun1

WelDun1 Type RA Member

Re: WelDun1's Ver5 STi Type-RA Build

Here's the car before it got cut....

ai1288.photobucket.com_albums_b486_WelDun13_sti5typer001_zps4fa5774c.jpg
    ai1288.photobucket.com_albums_b486_WelDun13_sti5typer002_zps32e55418.jpg
    ai1288.photobucket.com_albums_b486_WelDun13_sti5typer003_zpsd9a04817.jpg
    ai1288.photobucket.com_albums_b486_WelDun13_sti5typer004_zpsc6d80dc2.jpg
    ai1288.photobucket.com_albums_b486_WelDun13_sti5typer005_zps9bae7998.jpg

This thing is legit! Never been modded except for the Boost controller and Turbo Timer! One Owner.. doesn't get much better.
    Now that I have your complete attention, keep reading and I will reveal the man that made this all possible! The man with the BEST JDM CLIPS/PARTS In N. America!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  3. WelDun1

WelDun1 Type RA Member

This is what it looks like after being chopped and screwed! Sad I know, but I promise it will get better!

ai1288.photobucket.com_albums_b486_WelDun13_newfrontclips001_zpsed075e94.jpg
    ai1288.photobucket.com_albums_b486_WelDun13_newfrontclips002_zps986f2e22.jpg
    ai1288.photobucket.com_albums_b486_WelDun13_newfrontclips009_zpsc8dd8c5a.jpg
    ai1288.photobucket.com_albums_b486_WelDun13_newfrontclips014_zpsb30c8e7a.jpg
    ai1288.photobucket.com_albums_b486_WelDun13_newfrontclips012_zps05157247.jpg
    ai1288.photobucket.com_albums_b486_WelDun13_newfrontclips025_zps39e8cb99.jpg
    ai1288.photobucket.com_albums_b486_WelDun13_newfrontclips021_zpsc7cad0fd.jpg
    ai1288.photobucket.com_albums_b486_WelDun13_newfrontclips026_zpscff8393d.jpg
    ai1288.photobucket.com_albums_b486_WelDun13_newfrontclips003_zps024ae9c3.jpg
    ai1288.photobucket.com_albums_b486_WelDun13_newfrontclips028_zpscf1c15ac.jpg
    ai1288.photobucket.com_albums_b486_WelDun13_newfrontclips027_zpsf02b8842.jpg

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  4. WelDun1

WelDun1 Type RA Member

Are you guys ready for it!?! I sure in the hell know that I am. Just got the word that the shipment has set sail to its final destination...MI CASA! Here are the pics of everything packed up...
    I'm getting antsy as all hell
    ai1288.photobucket.com_albums_b486_WelDun13_shipmenttoweldon028_zps90114e31.jpg
    ai1288.photobucket.com_albums_b486_WelDun13_shipmenttoweldon036_zps749bfe22.jpg
    ai1288.photobucket.com_albums_b486_WelDun13_shipmenttoweldon032_zps60cfa617.jpg
    ai1288.photobucket.com_albums_b486_WelDun13_shipmenttoweldon043_zpsedf09c2b.jpg
    ai1288.photobucket.com_albums_b486_WelDun13_shipmenttoweldon048_zpsd808216e.jpg
    ai1288.photobucket.com_albums_b486_WelDun13_shipmenttoweldon047_zps76af6974.jpg
    ai1288.photobucket.com_albums_b486_WelDun13_shipmenttoweldon050_zpsc30c8f9f.jpg
    ai1288.photobucket.com_albums_b486_WelDun13_shipmenttoweldon039_zps0b214a07.jpg
    ai1288.photobucket.com_albums_b486_WelDun13_shipmenttoweldon054_zpsa10dbe25.jpg
    ai1288.photobucket.com_albums_b486_WelDun13_shipmenttoweldon057_zpse28b7385.jpg

So if it left 5-10-13 from Montreal Canada, I'm guessing that it'll take about 2 days to clear Customs, get into New Jersey where it will switch trucks, and then another 3-4 days to travel across country to the super Fresh North West, and into Portland where I wait with a smile! I'm hoping for a Monday the 20th arrival. Let's see how close I am. Anyone down for a pool on arrival dates?!?
    I got the 20th!

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  5. WelDun1

WelDun1 Type RA Member

I haven't been going very fast with the shell dismantling. It kind of blows that I don't have a garage, meaning no room to put all parts removed, also meaning an outside build.(Maybe) I do live on 3 acres so its not that bad, but worse case scenario, I build it in my portable garage with the tarp and do the build inside of that Also my neighbor has a decent size shop and I may be able to do the build in there.

Things on my list to buy for preparation of the build:
    -New Engine Stand

Paint/Body work supplies
    -Primer
    -Base Coat
    -Clear Coat
    -Eraser wheel √
    -DA Sander w/interface pad √
    -600/80/40grit s.paper √
    -Body filler √
    -Red/Grey scuff pad
    -I bought some VHT WRINKLE PLUS Red for the Intake Mani/Turbo
    - STi Cherry Blossom red paint from IIRC √

-Dremel tool and bits for PnP √
    -Dye grinder

Engine Parts
    -Wiseco Pistons
    -Brian Crower "B Rods"
    -ACL or POWER ENTERPRISE F1 Main/Rod bearings
    -OEM EJ207 Head gasket kit

Heads
    -Kelford 199-J Cams
    -Brian Crower Ti Valve springs/retainers
    -BC Valves
    -BC Cams Gears
    Once I get the block out, I'm dropping it off at M&B Cylinder Heads For Cylinder Honing and to have it Decked. They have the best reputation around for Head work. They use quad diamond abrasives for the Honing, as well as a Plateau Brush to knock out all the cross hatch high peaks so that the piston rings seat better, and allow for a faster more reliable break in.

Oil
    -Killer B Baffle & Pick Up
    -Killer B pan, maybe just an 06 STi pan
    -10mm modified high flow oil pump

Fuel
    -Walbro 255lph pump
    -Injector Dynamics 1000cc
    -Fuel Lab Regulator
    -Russell Fuel Lines(Blue & Red Anodized)
    -Cooling Mist Water/Methanol Injection

Electronic
    -Link G4 Plug n Play ECU
    -Clip came with Blitz boost controller & Dual Turbo Timer/Boost Gauge
    - Prosport "JDM" Series Gauges
    -Boost
    -Wideband A/F
    -Oil Pressure

Suspension
    -S201 Lateral Links/Traling Links
    -Whiteline Tie Rod Ends & Ball Joints
    -Whiteline Bushings
    -Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit
    -Whiteline Heavy Duty Sway Bars
    -Ultra Racing Rear Strut Bar
    -Ultra Racing Rear Diff Brace
    -Ultra Racing Rear Floor Brace
    -Carbing Chassis Braces
    -I have Megan Coilovers, and I have the Type-R inverted struts, I would really REALLY like to get the S201 Pink 4way adjustable struts w/Pink Gymkana Coils

Exhaust
    -Custom Rotated Down/Up Pipe from TRACK FORGED w/ dump tube/38mm TiAl Wastegate
    -Custom DOC Race Headers w/ V-Band Up-Pipe connection
    -Custom 3" V-Band mid pipe
    -I have an Apexi N1 Catback, I will probably just use the axle back until I can afford a Fujitsubo Ti, or a Kakimoto Ti Catback, or just put a Straight pipe out the side and call it a day! :banana
    -TiAl Q BOV

Apparently, this Type-R has been taken very good care of. Its only had one owner, & only 37k miles on it, which is basically brand new. But bcuz it is a Type-R, there really is no telling if its been driven hard or not. Some people want them just to have one, and others want them bcuz they want to drive hard. I'm hoping for the first one.. lol
    I have a strange feeling that this guy drove the car for 60k km's, and then swapped the Ver5 ej207 out for a Ver7 ej207, and put the Ver5 back in when he sold it to me. I don't know how to explain it, but I just have this feeling that's what happened. There are also a few signs of him having a cage, or at least a Harness bar installed, because i found a couple eye loop bolts in the glovebox, which to the best of my knowledge are only used for Harnesses. Then again, Its impossible to know what this car has been through, he could have just drove it on the weekends at the track or something... But one thing is FOR SURE, the engine is in Remarkable condition! I've yet to see another Ver5 Type-R that has as clean of an engine as the one I own! We won't know 100% tho until I fire this bad boy up, and lay some Potenza RE-11 Rubber down :)
    -

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  6. WelDun1

WelDun1 Type RA Member

***THIS IS THE SHELL/CHASSIS CAR. EVERYTHING FROM THE TYPE-R, WILL BE GOING ONTO THIS CHASSIS.***

Here are some pics of the 95L 2.2l AWD sedan that I picked up for $300!!! I know what some of you might be thinking, Im putting a Type-R into a Sedan, right?!? Well, when you find a super good deal on a shell car as nice as this one, you don't pass it up. And besides, I wanted the Type-RA WRC limited anyways, so I am going to make it an RA! Basically the same car, with minor differences.
    ai1288.photobucket.com_albums_b486_WelDun13_IMAG0107_zps33550bfa.jpg
    ai1288.photobucket.com_albums_b486_WelDun13_IMAG0120_zpsc9917f38.jpg
    ai1288.photobucket.com_albums_b486_WelDun13_IMAG0101_zps78315252.jpg
    ai1288.photobucket.com_albums_b486_WelDun13_IMAG0117_zps242aaf6a.jpg
    So as you can see, this dent in the door
    ai1288.photobucket.com_albums_b486_WelDun13_IMAG0113_zps963a7eb8.jpg
    And group of bumps/dents by the tail light are the only blemishes on the entire body! This one by the tail light may be a P.I.T.A to smooth out. I'm hoping to use little to No Bondo. Just gimme a Hammer and Dolly and watch out!
    ai1288.photobucket.com_albums_b486_WelDun13_IMAG0112_zpsb19cd53d.jpg

The tires had about 80% tread left too! That was worth the $300 alone!

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  7. WelDun1

WelDun1 Type RA Member

Starting to take the interior out
    ai1288.photobucket.com_albums_b486_WelDun13_IMAG0109_zps2385d469.jpg
    ai1288.photobucket.com_albums_b486_WelDun13_IMAG0110_zps3b3ff446.jpg
    ai1288.photobucket.com_albums_b486_WelDun13_IMAG0114_zps703482fe.jpg
    Engine runs really good, I drove it 220 miles home after buying it and no weird noises or anything!2.2 w/dual ports guys! Up for sale$250 obo

8. NZ RA

NZ RA Type RA Member

Jesus,I sure am glad I was able to take my pick of around 50 WRXs for sale when I bought my V5 RA!
    You yanks sure missed out on the classic WRXs!
    I think it had something to do with the left hand drive thing?

9. WelDun1

WelDun1 Type RA Member

There are stories and rumors about why they never made it over here. None that I can confirm, but I don't think it had anything to do with LHD bcuz they actually made LHD GT model, and I'm pretty sure I've seen a LHD Classic WRX in Germany.
    Anyway you look at it, it Sucks Donkey Balls! The 2.5 RS was the highest model we received, and it isn't that fresh if you ask me. Ive owned one, and my 2.2L Coupe that I have is better in most aspects. The ej22e has to be Frankensteined to boost it, but the ej22e is a stronger engine than the ej255. Not the 257 thats in the USDM STi, but the RS ej255. We almost got a turbo version called the RX, but they changed their mind after the auto show that introduced them. The 2 original RX's that were at that show are still on display at some Subaru/Auto Museum in the Mid-West or somewhere.

10. WelDun1

WelDun1 Type RA Member

I need to go buy an Air Compressor before I can continue my shell. I haven't even yanked the block yet. Haha its just hard to drop $300+ on a Compressor, when I have thoughts of rebuilding the bottom end of my ej207, not to mention the Brian Crower stage 2 cam kit that runs about $1200. I already ordered the Apexi PFC thank god that chunk is outta the way. You have no idea how bad I want to just tear into the shell. I actually already took a lot out, but when I went to DMV for the title change, they said the car had to be ther for a VIN Inspection, so I had to put it back 2gthr. Smh so eFFn retarted! The car has bad tags, and no insurance, wtf am I supposed to do!?! Risk the drive I guess.. all for the love of Subaru's! #YOLO

**EDIT**
    I Cancelled the order on my Apexi PFC, and instead I decided to go with the Link G4 Plug n Play. And also decided to go with the Kelford 199-J cams instead of the BC's. The Kelfords are WAY better. Sorry Brian Crower, but they just are.

11. Silver Scooby Sport

Silver Scooby Sport V-Limited Member

Great thread I'm going to enjoying reading this as it comes together.

12. type-ra

type-ra Administrator

Great to see you've finally got your hands on the car Weldon.

This is a very interesting thread for us over here. We only have the P1 as a 2 door car over here or the Type R imported, so it's wierd to see you stripping a 2 door car as a throw away donor.

Keep us up to date:cheers:

Dean

13. WelDun1

WelDun1 Type RA Member

Yeah it is somewhat of an interesting build. I'm stripping down an imported Type-R, and swapping it all onto a 4 door Base Model USDM Impreza. It's pretty common in the States, but most people swap into a RS Coupe, or 2 door Impreza L, as opposed to the Sedan like I'm doing. I would have liked to swapped into a coupe, but I couldn't find one in good condition. I only payed $300 for the sedan. Lol couldn't say no. Whats even more funny, is that I have a 98 coupe, but its OBD2, and emissions prevents me from putting a JDM engine into it bcuz they are OBD1. So we can only put JDM engines into pre96 vehicles. I could just drop a USDM STi engine/tranny into it, but where's the fun in that. I want it to be somewhat original. So I'm selling my 98 coupe to fund this build.
    Here's a pic of my 98. I will miss her for sure, but I can really use the $3000 I'm asking, for parts and tools for my RA build. Someone will get a nice Subaru, and I get money to build one.. WIN WIN Right?!?

Attached Files:

14. type-ra

type-ra Administrator

Sorry, my mistake. I missed the 4 door donor car & sale of 2 door:oops:

The end result is all that matters:cheers:

The evolution from donor to finish will be great for us to see:bow

Dean

15. WelDun1

WelDun1 Type RA Member

Lol what did you think I was doing?
    Are you even reading my thread?!? Lol I'm j/k...
    I posted pics of the Sedan. I must not've explained it well enough. I will edit.

The Type-R is the "Donor" car, and the 95 Impreza L Sedan is the "Chassis" car. Everything from the Type-R is going onto the chassis of the 95L. So the Type-R, will become in some sense, a Type-RA.
    Does that make more sense now? When I tell some of my friends that aren't really Car savy, they look at me weird like "Huh? Why would you buy a cut up half of a car?" Or think that the 95L is the car that I'm bragging about how fast it is, and they look at me like "what is he smoking" haha
    We'll see who gets the last laugh!

16. type-ra

type-ra Administrator

More confusion due to my unclear replyPatience

I know the Type R is the donar car, but I missed that the 4 door car was was the new owner & not your 2 door - which you are selling.

Clear as mud:D

I am reading the thread BTW;)

17. WelDun1

WelDun1 Type RA Member

OH, Yeah. I wish that I could have used the 98 Coupe :sad: But since its newer than 95, it won't pass emissions with a JDM swap.
    The only good thing that came out of it, is that I bought the 95 sedan for $300, which is $3000 cheaper thann what I payed for the 98 Coupe. So by selling the Coupe, I will then have that much more to put into the build! YAY!!!! :banana:

18. ASJ

ASJ Moderator

I'm guessing that '95 4 door will be a good 'lightweight' shell to start from. Win

Notice it's an auto - no big deal I hope as you will have all the pedal box etc from the type R.

So, did you win the sweepstake on the arrival date of your crates? I hope the UPS man bring a fork lift truck!

Keep it coming......

Rgds, Ade

19. WelDun1

WelDun1 Type RA Member

Yeah, I have everything to convert to Manual from the Type-R.
    It did show up in my city yesterday, but like everything, there was a slight delay, and they called me early this morning to inform me that they will be delivering sometime this afternoon! And as luck would have it, my neighbor just so happens to have a forklift! I kinda lucked out with that one, cuz they cost $300/day to rent!
    I will post pics as soon as it gets here and I'm done being a kid on Christmas!

20. WelDun1

WelDun1 Type RA Member

So.... After the long wait....

Drum Roll Please..............................
    My Type-R has arrived!!!
    It is raining like crazy in Portland right now, so as soon as I can, I will be posting all the pics!
    A little bit of bad news tho, one of the control arms fell out along the way, got ran over, and smashed the bracket into the bushing :-( I hope it can be salvaged.
    It was All the moving companies fault, and definitely NOT the Importers fault.
    Speaking of.....

So anyone that wants to buy a REAL JDM FRONT CLIP with ALL the Trimmings, see this guy:

JOE @ JDM ADVANCE MOTORS!
    Click Here---->JDM ADVANCE MOTORS
    Joe is the BEST and he went out of his way to make sure that I was satisfied and that my Clip was Top of the line!
    All of his parts are Top Of The Line and I HIGHLY recommend using his services! Joe is a very Trustworthy guy, and he does exactly what he says he is going to do, and MORE! There wasn't one problem throughout the whole process! I must admit, I was skeptical at first to give a complete stranger in a different country my money, BUT... Joe made me feel very comfortable and was absolutely reassuring that I would be satisfied, and guess what? I AM MORE THAN SATISFIED!
    Thank you so much Joe!

Last edited: May 23, 2013