U.K. Sti avcs v V3 ported and polished heads

Discussion in 'Subaru Impreza WRX Help & advice' started by Chris.air, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Chris.air

Chris.air V-Limited Member

Hi all, I'm thinking of going down the avcs route on the 2.1 build what the pros and cons?

Any help greatly appreciated :thumb

Chris

2. BenGTTurbo

BenGTTurbo 2000 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type-R WRC Limited

I don't know how true this is but i was going to go down the route of AVCS heads on my 2.5 but i heard a horror story from my mate saying that on track his AVCS advanced the timing to much and caused the engine to go bang. This put me off AVCS but how true that is i don't know

3. asperformance

asperformance Site Supporter

bearing in mind Subaru have been using single AVCS since approx 2001 and dual AVCS since 2004 (JDM) then its not an issue you will come across @BenGTTurbo - there would be more than any odd tale around...........

@Chris.air there is a lot of work to make later ph2 style heads fit an early car due to very specific port / manifold differences as well as the wiring / ECU required to run so would all depend on your budget and targets as to whether it was worthwhile

IMO people are too quick to "loose" well set-up non AVCS heads

• Like Like x 1
  4. BenGTTurbo

BenGTTurbo 2000 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type-R WRC Limited

So you need to change to a later inlet manifold in order to run avcs? How comes? Is it to do with where they bolt up to the cylinder heads?

5. edsel

edsel V-Limited Member

I'm planning on keeping my v4 heads with after market cams. The theory is longer duration allowing more in and out at lower boost.
    I've considered avcs conversion on my v2 but it appears to be a lot of work, the manifold conversion is no biggie but the electrical and management side of things is way out of my diy skill set.
    Off the top of my head,,, later heads and inlets have different stud patterns, the icv and tps will be different, I'm assuming A later throttle body will also need to be fitted.
    This might be total bollocks as I have yet to speak personally to someone who has actually done the conversion.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  6. asperformance

asperformance Site Supporter

in basic terms 1989-1998 turbo engines have totally different inlet port spacing / stud pattern to 1999> cars

even the inlet manifold width is totally different

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1