S5 suspension parts

Discussion in 'Projects, modifications & how to guides' started by monoposto, Mar 29, 2018.

1. monoposto

monoposto Type RA Member

So I've had this idea of snagging most of the s5 suspension bits, front subframe, rear subframe, uprights, front a arms etc. Because of the wider track I also know I'd need the gkn axles as well. I'm mostly curious as to the cost of the front/rear hub assembly along with their respective subframe.

I wanted to price this out on wrc spares but trying to find prices for a lot of those parts is such a chore. Is there another source or can someone atleast provide a decent ball park? Looking to piece this together for around 10k usd over time. Looking at used parts and potentially 3d scanning for something to go back to in case of damage or someone else wants to make a replica.

Thanks

2. tekkerchrede

tekkerchrede V-Limited Member

Alyn/@asperformance will probably be your port of call here. Noticed in guy from the Netherlands selling out of various parts too. He is on rallycarsforsale.net.

3. monoposto

monoposto Type RA Member

I saw that guy from the Netherlands too and even sent him a message but no response so far. Thanks for you help btw, I will get in touch with Alyn.

4. Godspeed

Godspeed V-Limited Member

S5 parts are very expensive when they come up for sale , expect £2500 for hubs , about the same for tubular cross members , suspension will be anything from £2500 , up to £14000 for the EXE TC that was on my S5.
    You would have to have drive shafts made to suit , as an S5 one won't fit onto standard gearboxes , the outer CV joint are £600 each , so you'd have to have a shaft made to suit those , and a standard inner joint , custom shafts are anywhere from £150 to £500 each depending on where you go.
    Front tubular arms are again about £2500 each if you go to WRC spares , I damaged a few on events and it was a ball ache buying those , I did have a guy contact me Dave Mathews , and he has jigs for them , so got them from him in the end for under a grand each , he could also help you with cross members , a very clever guy , just slow doing stuff as he takes too much on !

As my car was right hand drive , it had a standard road car quick rack , but had the WRC spec track rod , and rose jointed track rod ends , needs these to fit to the hubs , these were £500 each from WRC spares !
    For reference , wheel bearing are Cesna airplaine landing gear bearings , did some searching when I needed them , as WRC spares wanted £500 per hub for bearings , I got a full car set from the states including shipping for £380

I think you'd be doing very well if you can do it for $10k US dollars , good luck !

Cheers Ian

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Burnsie

Burnsie V-Limited Member

Hi @monoposto

Ball park figures for the complete running gear would be in the region of £12 - £15k used.

Eg rear subframe £1500
    Front subframe £2000
    Uprights front and rear with bearing carriers (titanium) £5-£7k
    Links £1-2k
    Drop links £500
    Arbs front and rear (titanium) £1k
    Front tcas £1500
    Caster blocks £500
    Driveshafts £1-2k each depending on condition

Bear in mind that using this kit the standard car has to be modified a lot underneath to make it all fit and you would have to use the Prodrive gearbox (another £20k) and the Prodrive rear diff (£8-10k) and correct propshaft (£2k). Then to use these properly you would have to have the ecu’s and wiring looms to control the gearbox and diff.

You might be able to have the hubs modified to accept standard type driveshafts so you can use for example a standard jdm 6 speed and make a bracket to fit the R180 rear diff to the rear subframe. I’m sure it’s all possible it’s just a case of how much money your willing to spend and it which direction you wish to go? A full blown exact replica car would probably cost more than to buy a real S5 WRC car. I know from experience as I’ve priced up how much to build a Group A replica so now I’m saving for the real McCoy :thumb.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Paul.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  6. monoposto

monoposto Type RA Member

Appreciate the info boys. Now you've got my gears turning on how to solve some of these issues! Sometimes being an engineer doesn't help my cause!

In any case I was hoping to be able to purchase the longer live axles and being able to hook that up to the road car gearbox and diff.

Armed with this latest info though. I'm considering purchasing the left side corners, copying them out of steel and changing that inner diameter of the copies to mate up with a standard road car bearing and hub assembly. Can you gents foresee any issues in doing that?

7. TYPERV6

TYPERV6 Owner at The Project

Recently spoke with someone who has a lad building an S5 for him & who apparently supplies to WRC Spares. He produces the sub-frames and has reverse engineered the uprights - Billet machined in 6082 Ally... named Dave too... possibly the same person Ian.

afarm1.staticflickr.com_798_39392424500_de40a90ea7_b.jpg 22425695_10207735877273432_1206463556_o by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

afarm1.staticflickr.com_901_40488379004_5e642794fd_b.jpg 22385284_10207736412886822_376383182_n by Jamie Flett, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. Burnsie

Burnsie V-Limited Member

That’s very interesting @TYPERV6 wonder how much they work out at for a set and would be great on your replica builds :thumb Should be cheaper the more sets are made if they’re CNC machined? You could perhaps have the bearing carriers designed and made so that they use the stronger WRC bearings but accept standard sti shafts? So then you could still use the standard 5 or 6 speed casing and rear diff? You would have to use WRC suspension and wheels unless you had the uprights and bearing carriers further modified but the extra offset on the wheels would probably help fill the wide arches of the S5.

9. monoposto

monoposto Type RA Member

I agree quite interesting. How would I get in touch with this fellow?

10. monoposto

monoposto Type RA Member

I've read on another forum that there is some sort of prodrive build manual for the impreza floating around the web. I don't have much info because people barely make mention of it. Does this sound familiar to you guys across the pond?