Rear end knock

Discussion in 'Subaru Impreza WRX Help & advice' started by daniel forey, May 7, 2017.

1. daniel forey

daniel forey Type RA Member

Hey folks, just wondering if you can shed any light on this for me, had the car at the Clinic for a service a few months ago and got an advisory on some play in the rear shocks, something which I was already aware of, so decided to bite the bullet and go down the route of Coilovers, I opted for the BC/BR series, I had them fitted up at Richard Henry Motorsport the week before last, on picking the car up I noticed straight away a knock coming predominantly from the same corner as beforehand, so I let it over the weekend and got back in touch with them, they told me to come back through and they'd take a look, I nipped through and they pulled the rear seats, checked everything was tight, and went out for a spin, they came back and agreed something wasn't right, so they got onto their supplier and the car was booked in for Friday just gone, both rears were changed for a set of brand new ones again, took the car out and still whenever they drove over any sort of bump, or pot hole, the thudding noise was still their, they've fitted godknows how many sets of these and said they've never had such issues, and for the life of them they can't put their finger on why it does it, just wondering if anyone else has ever had issues when changing to Coilovers, I'm well aware the ride is much less forgiving, but if anyone's got on thoughts or advice on the matter I'd gladly appreciate it. Cheers Dan.

2. Winchester

Winchester V-Limited Member

A stiffer setup may amplify another issue... could it be worn rear arb bushes or drop links?

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Scotty75

Scotty75 V-Limited Member

I will go with a knackered droplink .

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. daniel forey

I replaced the rear droplinks for set of Whiteline one a few weeks prior to having the Coilovers fitted, when I took the car back in on Friday, they even ran it without the arb to see if that made a difference but it didn't, I'm scratching my head big style because I'm fairly certain it shouldn't be this bad:banghead:

5. Essbon

Essbon Impreza WRX Type R STI Version 5

could be rear 'diff noise' that you can hear, an not anything to do with your coilovers
    I get the occastional clunk which sounds like its comging from my rear offside, everything has been checked numerous times, and there is nothing wring with the suspension, top mounts etc...

The back end is being swapped out for a later rear subframe and refreshed with uprated bushes, and improved rear diff mount so I'll be interested to see if anything has changed when i get it back

Last edited: May 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  6. 2pot

2pot V-Limited Member

Was a replacement pair of rear struts too expensive?

7. daniel forey

It wasn't no, and in hindsight I probably should of done this

8. 2pot

2pot V-Limited Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. daniel forey

That's interesting that, il have a look when I finish work tomorrow night, thanks for the suggestion 2pot, I appreciate it.

10. daniel forey

Me too

11. NZ RA

NZ RA Type RA Member

Sounds like a knackered bush/bushings, to me.
    Trailing arm to hub or outrigger bushes would be what I'd check.

12. daniel forey

Well folks, had the car back on the ramp today, as we speak, checked through everything you've all suggested, and barring in mind the cars on a second brand new set of Coilovers, and still they can't identify why it's doing what it is.

• Like Like x 1
  13. daniel forey

I know I'm running out of ideas, and I appreciate what people have suggested so far, but if anyone else can think of what could possibly be causing this, I'm happy to hear it. Cheers Dan.