Race Altered MY00 STI RA Ltd no.1456/2000

Discussion in 'Impreza Restorations' started by Race Altered, May 21, 2018.

1. Race Altered

Race Altered V-Limited Member

This was just the bolts blasted before they get coated in zinc electrox then aluminium top coat finished with bilt hamber wax when in position and fixed :thumb

• Like Like x 1
  2. benji

benji Type RA Member

Sorry I meant coat not cost,
    Will you set up your own plating jig or sub them out?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Race Altered

Going to do as much as possible myself,well within reason lol but it's trying to juggle everything going on too so I'll see how things pan out ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. funkyrimpler

funkyrimpler Type RA Member

i prefer that you're keeping all of the original bits where possible..If you have access to blasting and painting then it's a no brainer.

5. tekkerchrede

tekkerchrede V-Limited Member

Would definitely recommend plating instead of painting. It is OE and you avoid the issue of tightening on painted surfaces. Also looks really nice when done. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Race Altered

So been away for a while getting things lined up, been busy with life's other problems as I'm sure we all know

Wednesday started to strip the underneath, exhaust, prop shaft, heat shields, rear bumper and crash bar, boot carpets and side trim panels, made the big decision to pull the gearbox out now so went for it and got it out last night which I was delighted about, as the final bolt came out the box split on its own weight which I heard can be an absolute nightmare trying to split it,

I'm no machanic so it's a nervous time for me and I'm doing it solo but the misses does bring me the odd coffee to keep me going lol,

Bought an engine/ gearbox stand to get the gearbox onto and cleaned up also a draper transmission jack which was a dream helper,

I've also taken the decision to get the nuts and bolts plated professionally as I cannot compete how good they turn out,
    So what I've done to make sure all bolts go back the same place they came from is write down type, lenth, size, type of washers,location and so on, a little time consuming but it will help me a lot on reassembley will put up some pics soon show how I'm getting on

• Like Like x 2
  7. Race Altered

Also covered the boot floor, inside wings, underside of parcel shelf, deep inside of rear arches with bilt hamber hydrate 80 rust killer, reviews it seems fantastic stuff and using it looks great,

Found some rust under the rear boot lining rubber trim seal that seals water entering the boot,it was in the upper lip at the osr top corner, I used a dremmel to remove the rust but Some metal had perished so will need it fixed but I've never done body work so won't start now, maybe a 1" squared section will have to be cut out and welded in but not bad in the grand scheme of things as the car will be painted in the end :thumb

8. Race Altered

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Need to find where this leak is from looks like it's close to the sensors, anybody have experience with the gasket replacement :sweating:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Race Altered

Clutch was slipping under full boost as I suspected rear main seal had failed also the plastic inspection plate is starting to split on one sere whole but when I took it off it had oil through the gasket so I guess it was leaking too, will replace with the newer metal one, clutch was contaminated with oil still had some life in it

image.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  10. Race Altered

Car is now stripped :party::party:

image.jpeg

Now the real work starts and time to empty the bank account :rofl:

• Like Like x 4