Race Altered MY00 STI RA Ltd no.1456/2000

Discussion in 'Impreza Restorations' started by Race Altered, May 21, 2018.

1. Race Altered

Race Altered V-Limited Member

Well it's time, put the car on stands last night for a good inspection and realised its a full on underbody restoration I'm now undertaken,this is not going to be a quick and easy restoration, I will be doing the best I can with time and funds allowing (and the misses) but will update with plenty of pics and reports as I go, I'm sure I will be asking many times for help on various aspects as the wealth of knowledge on this forum is all I could ever need to get the jobs done

I was going to change the exhaust for the MOT (has decat) but there is little or no point as it will be parked for a fair while yet,due to the fact it's nearly 19 years old it's still in OK condition but I want it better than when it rolled out off the factory floor. I've had the car for 3 or 4 years now and enjoyed it like nothing I could of imagined so it deserves to be restored for another 20 years,

Since I have the car im not an OE enthusiast like some and I respect that view a lot, I have even kept every original item taken off just if I ever want to return it back to factory spec.

I made improvements to known issues and some for personal enjoyment, have a lot more to get the car the way I want,

Car has type r wheels which I will change but that will be one of the last on the long list to do,

As the car is upgrades spec below

Baffled oil sump done by asp
    Turbo reconditioned by asp
    Equal length fuel rail set up
    Braided fuel lines with AN fittings
    Fuel lab FPR
    Sytec fuel filter
    Walbro 255 pump
    Cosworth panel filter
    Japspeed decat exhaust
    Symms race team headers
    Remap by Andy forest to 349bhp
    Hel brake and clutch lines
    Viper Coolant lines
    Viper oil catch can
    Tegwiga brake stopper
    Cusco Slam panel
    Sparco steering wheel

Will get some pics up shortly

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Pete1968

Pete1968 V-Limited Member

Sounds a great thread this, really looking forward to the pics and future updates too.

Pete.

PS, great cars they are.

3. Race Altered

Thanks Pete @Pete1968 i love this car and don't think I could ever let it go lol, here is a few pics to start it off

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  4. Pete1968

Awesome, mine is 1557/2000 and exactly the same rims as you. I’m hopefully going to get the TE37s in the future.

Pete.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Scotty75

Scotty75 V-Limited Member

If you want it to look better underneath i would start with getting bits shot blasted then powder coated in satin black as for the rear diff a good clean , fresh seals a bit of satin black and silver paint can make alot of difference underneath .

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. type-ra

type-ra Administrator

Excellent news Pierce @Race Altered :thumb
    Looking forward to this. Mine is on the to-do list too:)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Race Altered

I have built my so called workshop (man cave) sub consciously knowing I was to carry out this epic task and got myself a compressor and shot blasting setup and most tools needed, I'm hoping to do most blasting and painting myself within reason but @Scotty75 i have a basket list the length of my arm on ICP lol, will be doing every seal I come across along with boots,bushes nuts and bolts and everything in between, here is the cave lol

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  8. Race Altered

Now for the ugly bits, there is a engine oil leak I suspect the rear main seal or the inspection plate and has caused it to cover a fair bit of the underside, one good thing it may have slowed the rust in places but either way it will get done which means the gearbox will be coming out, I have ordered the sealey transmission jack as I heard it makes life a lot easier doing this job other than trying to balance it on a trolley jack, surface rust in some places but in general a lot of the under body is in reasonable condition, plan is to strip back and paint in 74f sonic blue including arches, pics of last nights inspection to follow,
    Pierce

• Like Like x 1
  9. Race Altered

Removed exhaust and battery last night to get a better view, sry for the poor photo quality as I was on my back holding a secondary light but some good and bad points found image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Pete1968

How long has it been in the UK buddy?? Great man cave that, get yourself a good heater for those cold Scottish night. ;)

Pete

• Agree Agree x 1