Potential purchase of a WRX STI v1... but may be a problem...

Discussion in 'General Impreza WRX chat' started by JonSTIv1, May 18, 2018.

1. JonSTIv1

JonSTIv1 V-Limited Member

Hi guys,

New to the Scooby world..:)

I’m in the process of purchasing a WRX STIv1

All was going well with the negotiations, etc...
    Unfortunately he sprung on me, the other day - the water pump had died..
    He’s happy to replace it and the belt..

However, not knowing the Scooby engine well - I’m concerned about the head gasket..!

A bit of history - car has been of road since - Sept 2016 when the last mot ran out.
    The seller - definitely knows about Scooby’s.
    He has another very well cared for Scooby.

What’s the average price for a head gasket replacement?.
    Do I buy a sniffer and compression test kits?

How do I tell if the head gasket has failed..!

Thanks for any input.

Jon

2. asperformance

asperformance Site Supporter

in very general terms the Subaru water pumps are very reliable so would be keen to have a lot more info on the exact issues its haing.............

like most things if its "cheap" enough then you could potentially take th erisk regardless

• Like Like x 1
  3. Kev_STI

Kev_STI V-Limited Member

Seems strange how the car not been on the road a couple of years then annouces the water pump gone, however these cars (or any car for that matter) don't really benefit from not being run for a while, potential for brakes and other bits to seize and degrade if not used

I would be very wary at this point, make sure you go see the car again after belt and pump replaced and give it a full road test up to temp etc. A sign of head gasket failure can be many things but Subaru's can start to blow coolant out the top reservoir (can sometimes be a leaky reservoir on early plastic ones as well)

Not sure about head gasket replacement prices.

Best of luck

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. Race Altered

Race Altered V-Limited Member

Get him to fix the pump and test drive the car "hard" and see if any issues arise you could even do a compression test on the cylinders give you more info, get under the car have check for any oil leaks gearbox or other as they will just get worse and cost you money to fix anyway, any faults can your way bargaining the price :thumb

• Like Like x 1
  5. JonSTIv1

Many thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.:)

Upon, questioning him again - the original engine had a problem.. he's sourced a replacement engine..WRX RA engine..apparently, from the same year and a CDB.

Im now not sure how to check to see ( IF I VIEW IT...) what engine he's put in ...... ie: a normal WRX or WRX STI or WRX Type RA... are there any obvious signs?

Again, thanks for any info. Of course, i'm looking on the net - to increase my knowledge..:)

Jon

• Like Like x 1
  6. JonSTIv1

Also, I've never come across this before when you do a gov.mot/ history check it only comes up with the last MOT and no previous MOT history....

Car was imported : 2004. So, MOT history missing from 2004 - 2016..... ??

Car reg L339 DNX

Confused..

7. Ossett2k2

Ossett2k2 V-Limited Member

May have been on a private plate previously?

• Like Like x 1
  8. JonSTIv1

Ah, very good point Sir... hadn't even thought about that.

9. sc86

sc86 V-Limited Member

never saw waterpump fail

10. Race Altered

Race Altered V-Limited Member

Find out if the water pump failed on the old engine or the one he put in, if the car was ran with a failed pump it can do a lot of internal damage that's hard to spot, also see if you can get the number of the old reg plate to check history on it too