MY98 WRX STI Type R V-Limited Version 4?

Discussion in 'What Impreza model is this?' started by Craig Pollock, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Craig Pollock

Craig Pollock Type RA Member

Subaru really don't like to make their model names short do they? I'm guessing in Japan the longer the name, the better the car! :wondering:

Anyway, can anyone confirm what I have here is a 1998 WRX STI Type R V-Limited (V4)?

From what little digging I've done it would appear so, the chassis number (GC8E2DD), trim code (830) and option codes (650) point towards it being a '98 rather than a '97. I did just think it was an STI Type R at first as I cannot find a plaque anywhere, however it would seem the non V-Limited's weren't available in 74F Sonic blue during this year so process of elimination has got me to this point.

Thanks for any assistance.

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2017
  2. tekkerchrede

tekkerchrede V-Limited Member

I would use the VIN-database or check the timeline, but your reasoning sounds good. The plaque would be at the centre part of the dash, but if lost, there is no way to regain the correct number.

3. Craig Pollock

Craig Pollock Type RA Member

Yeah, the only thing I cannot find is the plaque... did the Version 4 have them fitted? I know they we're built to order and not a set run, hence the question. Also out of interest how common / un-common are the V4 STI TypeR V-Limited's?

4. type-ra

type-ra Administrator

The V4 V-Limited STi Type R didn't have the plaque as they were built over a time period Jan 1998 - March 1998:thumb

5. tekkerchrede

tekkerchrede V-Limited Member

They are not super rare, but on the other hand it appears that the versions 2, 5, and 6 were more desired. At least there appear to be less of those "mid period" cars. I don't know if it is down to the phase 1.5 engine, semi facelift design or whatever.