I had a strange diagnosis from my Doctor

Discussion in 'The Snug' started by Pete1968, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Pete1968

Pete1968 V-Limited Member

Ok, had some bloods the other week as a general MOT, all good apart from my glucose levels. Apparently I’m what they call and I quote, “ PRE-DIABETIC, WTF?? Lol. Basically, my sugar levels are slightly more elevated than normal, BUT not high enough to be diagnosed with diabetes. Apparently a low carb diet he tells me will lower levels and this can reverse my ( pre diabetes) to stop falling into Type 2.

Anyone else ever heard of this?? PS, he also said I may never become diabetic, sounds very contradictory to me??

2. 53R

53R www.53Racing.uk

Well my doctor says I have amazingly good blood pressure for a fat bastard :D Prick :D You should probably drink less tbh ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Pete1968

Sod that Stu, I need to drink more now after being told that. Lol. :nod:

4. type-ra

type-ra Administrator

Sounds like you need a service & map check to me:thumb

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. Pete1968

Pmsl @type-ra , yes I’m running a bit rich Dean :giggle:

6. PazzaAE86

PazzaAE86 V-Limited Member

Look after yourself, whatever it takes to stay healthy.

People are so stubborn about changing their diets for health reasons, i can't fathom why. The greatest gift you have is your health.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. asperformance

asperformance Site Supporter

Type 2 is generally a 'life style' condition and can be solved just as it can be "caught"

• Like Like x 1
  8. funkyrimpler

funkyrimpler Type RA Member

Pete, you may need to alter your lifestyle...I would take that diagnosis as a warning...A good friend has Type 1 and it has steadily been destroying his life...He has a laundry list of medical problems ... he's been rushed to hospital numerous times and narrowly avoided having his foot amputated last year due to an infection he'd picked up because his trainers has rubbed the skin from his feet to expose raw flesh (he has no sensation in his feet)...

• Like Like x 1
  9. V3 type r

V3 type r V-Limited Member

9/10 times @Pete1968 it's just messing around with your food diet for a bit to get the sugar levels right then after a while knowing what amounts of certain things you can have is second nature. Like wearing glasses, something isn't right but a few small adjustments allows you to live a normal life and you forget their there after a while just becomes normality

• Like Like x 1
  10. funkyrimpler

funkyrimpler Type RA Member

from the NHS website:

"There is increasing evidence that even if it can't be cured, it is possible to put the condition into remission through weight loss...
    "less than 1 in 1,000 people" achieve remission.

Achieving weight loss through a combination of diet and exercise could mean that you do not have to start taking medication for type 2 diabetes."

Type 2 cannot be cured, but for SOME people it can put into remission..If you do not need to lose weight (usually about 15kg) however, then there is nothing else you can do as the body simply cannot maintain correct insulin levels anyway, and losing excess body fat has no positives benefits.