How To Fix Cigarette Lighter? (won't stay pressed in)

Discussion in 'Subaru Impreza WRX Help & advice' started by Nemesis, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Nemesis

Nemesis Type RA Member

First I thought my lighter wasn't working because it didn't get power? But recently had it tested and it is in fact getting power and the element heats up once it's held in. However if you let it go it just pops back out again.

One suggestion was that the element was bad and needed changing so I got a new one today and same thing. Hold it in and it heats up, let it go and it pops out.

I've read over on a Porsche forum that there are some springs or some springy material inside the socket that would release the lighter as they heat up and these sometimes get pushed away especially if a car charger or something is in the socket

Any idea what is causing this and how it can be fixed without having to buy a new lighter assembly?

One guy on the forum said he took something and tried to force some prongs back together.

2. Nemesis

Nemesis Type RA Member

Fixed it! Apparently there are 2 prongs inside the socket for the lighter itself... you just have to get something non conductive and pry these outward a bit so that they could "catch" the inner housing of the lighter element when it's pushed in.