Headlight modifications

Discussion in 'Projects, modifications & how to guides' started by Eric Grzybowski, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Eric Grzybowski

Eric Grzybowski Type RA Member

Hi Type-RA members,

I am curious if anyone is modding their headlights. It a huge deal here in the US. Im about to bake my headlights and paint the chrome housing (hate chrome). Just looking for any cool ideas or parts you may have in other areas of the world. Most here seems to paint the reflector behind the highbeam, paint the housing and do some type of cover up job to the amber lens.

I'm looking for a clear lens, or smoked lens and would like to have the STI logo painted and clearcoated, going to black out the chrome with a satin black and more than likely do a yellow or red reflective paint on the reflector.

Just feeling out ideas and curious whats the hotness from where YOU live. Thanks here are some
    samples of what Im talking about! Cheers all _GE_3213-Edit.jpg
    stock.JPG Projector-Headlights-AutoCity2.jpg _GE_3393-Edit.jpg

2. Divine

Divine JDM Car Enthusiast

Never been a big fan and have no intent to swap out headlights. Just my opinion, but its worth holding onto the original pair in case someone isn't fond when selling the car.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Eric Grzybowski

Thanks for the reply. On almost any other car I agree 100%. Something about all the chrome just bugs me. I've tossed the idea around of just purchasing some stock black housing from an early grv chassis , seems like it would be even more expensive than buying a used set and modding. Definitely keeping original parts of all the custom pieces.
    Cheers

4. edsel

edsel V-Limited Member

The U.S subaru scene seems hugely diferent to the UK. Modifications are nearly always towards performance gains rather than looks over here. If it doesn't make it faster, stop better or go round corners quicker it's seen as non value added. We are always on the lookout for "non molested" cars which again is open to interpretation says the man with only a few factory parts left on his engine and transmission ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Divine

Divine JDM Car Enthusiast

Agreed, much better in the UK. Performance should come first. I prefer cars as they left the factory or with minor modifications e.g alloy, splitter/lip and exhaust.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Eric Grzybowski

Oh no I think I left the wrong impression! I was only asking about this one visual mod. I dont want anyone to think we dont like our go fast bits better than some silly paint or stickers! Just feeling out what is done elsewhere. Function over form anyday.

Here's one more set to show how over the top some go to mod the lights. I just dont like chrome. The guys below must have hated the lights.
    Screenshot_20180331-085613_Instagram.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. tekkerchrede

tekkerchrede V-Limited Member

I think you misunderstand us. It is just silly - full period. Some people might do something to the blobeye headlights, to make them more JDM inspired, but otherwise it is just a waste of time. From what I understand the Americans are quite far off what we call rallying in Europe/FIA (and Japanese manufacturers supporting this). The cars reflect this over the years.

8. Eric Grzybowski

Correct, we have nothing like your Rally scene here. America has tried but rally racing hasn't taken off. Seems we prefer to swill cheap beer and watch over sponsored drivers turn circles!

The Cote de'Azur rally and Monte Carlo is what drew me into "your" rally racing as a teen, I've loved Subaru's ever since as we couldn't get the WRX here at the time I had to dream. I dont care for too many visual mods that aren't backed up by a firebreathing dragon of and engine under the hood...

That said, different strokes for different folks i suppose!

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. monoposto

monoposto Type RA Member

I would have to second some of the comments here. The US forums/scene also has quite a bit of an angsty-preteen vibe to it as well. I enjoy the European tastes in modifications much more. It seems way more motorsport and rally inspired.

Having said that. How can I tint my headlights yellow like junyas R30wrc? Love the looks of that man's car!

10. Eric Grzybowski

Could you use a vinyl overlay for the lights? That way it could be reversed just by peeling off the vinyl film. That car look terrific cruising the streets! One of my favorites right now.