GC8 Imprezas; how many left...

Discussion in 'General Impreza WRX chat' started by Chiefinspector, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Chiefinspector

Chiefinspector V-Limited Member

Thought that this may be of interest...

Looking on www.howmanyleft.co.uk tells us there are the following number of GC8 Impreza's left registered, as of Q4 2014 (includes both licensed and SORN cars)

There is no direct data for imported cars, although I wonder if the majority of imported GC8's are categorised as Impreza Turbo's by the DVLA?

UK Impreza Turbo 1993-1997: 694
    UK Impreza Turbo 2000 1997-2000: 5496
    UK Impreza RB5: 292
    UK Impreza Catalunya: 107
    UK Impreza Terzo: 186
    UK Impreza Series Mcrae: 66
    UK Impreza P1: 664
    Impreza 22B: 56 (I believe this includes those imported to the UK also, as I thought there were only ever c.16 official UK cars)

2. ASJ

ASJ Moderator

Big pinch of salt.............there is a large proportion of cars with the wrong variant applied to their DVLA record back in this era.

Just consider the P1 - do we really think a third of them have been scrapped?

Lots of grey imports tend to be down as simply AWD or GL AWD or similar. This is because the data entry person at DVLA could not match 'type R' or 'STi' or 'WRX' etc to a list of UK variants available on their computer, so they just picked a value near the top of the list.

Rgds, Ade

• Like Like x 2
  3. Chiefinspector

Agreed; it's by no means a definitive dataset!

However, it doesn't sound too unreasonable to me that 1/3 of P1's have been written off / scrapped etc in 15 years?

4. DRRally

DRRally Showboat Superstar

Go onto DVLA car checker and check my registration plate if you are bored...it surprised me. Just remember mine is a Subaru Impreza V1 WRX Type RA applied model code.

So if that's what the DVLA have for mine...and that's just one car!

Also I know of many Subaru Impreza P1 for instance that have been exported (or actually just driven) to places like Russia, Lithuvania etc I was surprised too. So as @ASJ says pinch of salt.

I would be surprised however...to see how many Subaru Impreza 1.6 GL or 2.0 GL's were imported from Japan :giggle:

5. type-ra

type-ra Administrator

That would make interesting reading seeing how many "GLs" were actually WRX/STis etc @DRRally :thumb

• Like Like x 1
  6. ASJ

ASJ Moderator

No wonder you are so slow out on the stages! :yawn:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chiefinspector

I agree - the way that the DVLA categorised the various Impreza version names at the time, whether that be UK market or JDM, means these figures could well be unreliable.

However, one aspect that I believe they got right - in the majority of cases - was the year of manufacture.

That includes most of the JDM imports - more often than not, the year of manufacture is correct. A 1999 Impreza STi Type R import may well be listed as a 2.0 GL (for example) on the DVLA database, but it will likely have it's year of manufacture correctly listed as 1999.

So splitting the data a different way...

The following shows how many classic GC8 Imprezas are currently registered in the UK by year of manufacture (not year of registration!). This takes the various version names out of the equation.

The total figure equates to 12,123 cars still registered in the UK (both licensed and SORN). This includes every GC8 version, from GL to 22B:

Impreza numbers by year manufactured.jpg

I'm off to do some real work!

• Like Like x 3
  8. Carboy

Carboy V-Limited Member

Good work ChiefInspector , very interesting! :thumb

9. DRRally

DRRally Showboat Superstar

@type-ra we still have been beaten to 7 early Imprezas!

I wonder how young our Imprezas are compared to the about line chart! :p

10. type-ra

type-ra Administrator

These are 3 V5s from a couple of my cars & an old shell I had:

WRX sedan

ra.jpg

RA Limited

raltd.jpg

Type R

typer.jpg

• Like Like x 1