GC8 GPA Front Wings

Discussion in 'Projects, modifications & how to guides' started by Craig_F, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Craig_F

Craig_F Type RA Member

Hi all...

So had the rally car out yesterday for first time for a bit of a shake down. Car is on 18" wheels and when driven in anger both tyres IMG_0311.JPG foul quite badly on Front wings.

I know the GPA cars had the Front wings cut away. Has anyone done this? If so how? Using what method and template etc?

• Like Like x 1
  2. asperformance

asperformance Site Supporter

Ran & messed with plenty of clubman style grpA cars on 18" WRC rubber and fronts are far less an issue than rears normally......

What sort of camber, etc. Set-up do you have as it appears very "upright' from your pic....

3. Craig_F

Craig_F Type RA Member

IMG_0312.JPG The rears had a little bit of arch rub but it is running wheel spacers which were on the car when we had it so that may not be helping our cause. May try and remove spacers if we can and it doesn't then rub inner wheel arch.

We've tried to get the settings as close to this as possible.

4. asperformance

In general you will have more issue with rubbing on the rear so something strange going on if its more front problems??

Personally used to run around 1.5deg rear camber and near 2deg front which always worked well with mounded rally slicks......

Not the best pic but you get the idea......

5. asperformance

6. GPA555

GPA555 Type RA Member

I posted this on a different thread I plan to fit GTZ wheels 18x8 over the winter with Pirelli tarmac tyres.

Currently running KYB AGX with STi Springs.With the arches modified,is it possible to run without rubbing or do I need additional parts?

7. Craig_F

Craig_F Type RA Member

Spoke to the chap tonight that owned the car prior to chap I bought off ofand he confirmed that front arches were cut away before. Another job for the winter by the look of it..... we currently have a perfect groove in each front tyre from wheel arch!

8. asperformance

never cut any front wings away although from memory at least one of the cars (with a much more aggressive Tarmac "stance") did have the front wing lips 'rolled' as well as the back arches 'pulled & rolled'

we effectively used a grpN type offset wheel at ET48 so potentially you have a differing spec causing you more clearance issues??

9. Craig_F

Craig_F Type RA Member

I don't know to be honest. We are using the Revolution wheels on the car as that's what was on it when we bought it but as you say maybe causing an issue.
    The car ran on 18's for years albeit by more of a standard Prodrive OEM 18" wheel but as I say wings were cut away on the car before like the GPA cars for clearance.
    Thanks again for your assistance

10. Scotty75

Scotty75 V-Limited Member

Possibiltiy is that they are 18x8 et48 and running spacers why dont you remove the spacers and get the camber and toe redone as it looks in the pic the wheels are sticking out a bit aswell .