Fitting 13 row oil cooler advice

Discussion in 'Projects, modifications & how to guides' started by Fatharrydog, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Fatharrydog

Fatharrydog MY98 WRX Type R V-Limited 176/1000

I used flexible rubber hoses and routed them to the off-side drivers side towards the fog light, then down underneath the sump guard. I think the length was around 1.5m each (I might be wrong). My headers are still oem with the heat shields so it hasn't been an issue for me. I used a Mocal thermostatic sandwich plate. I also had to use the Mocal spacer as well to allow the sandwich plate to clear the oem headers.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. BenGTTurbo

BenGTTurbo 2000 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type-R WRC Limited

did you remove the oem oil modine? Also with the Mocal spacer and sandwich plate in place can you still fit the undertray on or does the oil filter sit a lot lower causing the undertray not to fit?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Fatharrydog

Hi I have kept the modine because it is still a road car. The filter sites lower by about 2 inches which is the thickness of the spacer and sandwich plate. I use the Dress up aluminium sump guard and I had to lower it by 15mm by using spacers and longer bolts. It might not be necessary with a plastic under tray so you will have to check.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
  4. Fatharrydog

If you are going down the same route as me I would recommend 180 degree connectors at the sandwich plate and 45 degree at the oil cooler. This will allow the shortest and neatest pipe run:thumb

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  5. BenGTTurbo

Thanks for the advise. Just ordered a 19 row Mocal kit. Very tight squeeze getting the core to fit with the aircon still connected to the vehicle. Hardly any room to route the pipes through, I take it from your pic that you do not have aircon.

6. Fatharrydog

Yes I have air con.

7. BenGTTurbo

How did you manage to route the pipes? It looks like there is no room at all at the front between the rad, i cant even get a screwdriver through the gap

8. Fatharrydog

The pipes go down in front of the bottom chassis rail and the bumper . Because I have an STi sport bumper there is a decent gap of about 2 inches. If I remember correctly there was no gap with the standard bumper.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  9. BenGTTurbo

Oh ok, i'll have to try figure something out. Thanks

10. Fatharrydog

There is a 2 inch space under the bumper bar and the bumper bar bracket on the drivers side. You can get 2 pipes through there and then the pipes will go the via the wheel arch. Not ideal because you may have to cut the front wheel arch tray and it will be a long pipe run. Suggest you get 4 x 90 degree connectors for the oil cooler and the sandwich plate. The other alternative is to remove the air con!