Costs involved when importing goodies from Japan

Discussion in 'JDM Auction Spy' started by type-ra, Oct 11, 2017.

1. type-ra

type-ra Administrator

This is shamelessly stolen from @53R post in the Genome thread here, but I thought it would be a very useful guide to the costs involved with importing goodies & trinkets from Japan:

As a matter of interest I just watched a nice Genome go through the auctions today at cheap money. I thought I would share the costs if it helps put into context the value/costs involved of parts now which aren't already landed in the UK. :)

Genome GDB Exhaust - 24,000 Yen
    Postage in Japan - 6000 Yen
    Postage to UK - 25,700
    Auction fees - 300 Yen
    Total Upfront Japan Cost - 56,000 Yen / 400 GBP
    UK Duty and VAT - 114 GBP
    Handling Fee - 25 GBP

Total Cost to your door - £539.00

Original cost of the exhaust listed was around £170 which is cheap and with a relatively good Yen rate at the moment. :)

I thought this might help people to understand the pricing of good condition JDM parts now that the flow of quality breakers has started to decline. :)

Whether people feel these are worth that much money is an aside from the fact that that is now what they cost to import in the condition you would be proud to fit them to your vehicle.

Hope this has helped. :)

I have a couple more of these in my collection which I would be prepared to sell. It's good to establish a figure that they will sell at which does seem to be at the level I originally pitched my advert. :) The days of JPParts selling these by the bucket load for £275 are gone :(

Thanks for reading. :thumb

• Like Like x 2
  2. barnzyy28

barnzyy28 V-Limited Member

Interesting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. type-ra

type-ra Administrator

Upsetting I'd say:cry:

At todays rate (148jpy), that's a purchase price of £161!

4. MattyB1983

MattyB1983 V2 STI RA Vlimited.

Why is the postage cost so much ??? I've bought fairly large items from Japan before and the postage was nowhere near that amount...

5. 53R

53R www.53Racing.uk

Even budget mail for brochures is mental.

20171011_182141.jpg

6. Keith

Keith V-Limited Member

Certainly agree on the postage costs. When you buy multiple items the buggers will only put so many in one package but it doesn't seem to be governed by weight or package size. So that can mean 2-3 postage/duty/handling costs :cry:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. type-ra

type-ra Administrator

My last lot of brochures weighed 12kg & the shipping was £93:cry:

• Like Like x 1
  8. tekkerchrede

tekkerchrede V-Limited Member

I think as a general rule (all over the world), that air mail is £10-ish per kilogram..

9. type-ra

type-ra Administrator

I’ve not checked the weights of my other packages @tekkerchrede but that doesn’t seem to be a million miles off:thumb

10. 53R

53R www.53Racing.uk

The most I paid on 22kgs was 32,000Yen as it was 1.2 meters :eek: