Cold start rough running

Discussion in 'Subaru Impreza WRX Help & advice' started by Kev_STI, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Kev_STI

Kev_STI V-Limited Member

Hi,

Thought I would ask for a bit of advice on this for my V2 STI RA. When I first start the car from cold it takes a couple of seconds to clear into a normal idle, before that it misses and sounds like it could stall. After this it runs cleanly when warm, with the odd little miss as it's building up temp.

It has had new plugs about 800 miles ago and is running on fresh V power, at the moment I'm not running the battery conditioner and it can be left for several weeks without starting.

Any ideas where to start looking or is it just a "feature?", I know from past experience they can be a bit lumpy from cold.

Cheers
    Kev

2. Paul73

Paul73 Type RA Member

Coolant temp sensor starting to play up perhaps?

3. Topper Harley

Topper Harley V-Limited Member

Idle control valve may need a clean.

• Like Like x 1
  4. barnzyy28

barnzyy28 V-Limited Member

I replaced the idle control valve and it sorted the problem for me. I think I have a spare kicking about if you need it.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Kev_STI

Kev_STI V-Limited Member

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I think idle control could be the way to go to start with, something I don't mind doing myself.

6. barnzyy28

barnzyy28 V-Limited Member

It's an easy job. As I said I have one here if you want it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kev_STI

Kev_STI V-Limited Member

Cheers, much appreciated :thumb

8. edsel

edsel V-Limited Member

Icv can be stripped and cleaned quite easily, irc there is a diaphragm, filter and gasket. All comes apart by undoing the four bolts. The internals are usually covered in carbon and a good blast with carb cleaner blows all the soot away. @Import Car Parts sells replacement gaskets.

• Like Like x 1
  9. banhama

banhama V-Limited Member

I'd make sure to have a spare gasket before you start. If it's anything like on the Newage the gasket is one of those that 'grows' once you release it, as I found out!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kev_STI

Kev_STI V-Limited Member

Thanks for the info.

Import Car Parts have been my go to choice, they have saved my bacon this week already as the RA is currently in the garage having some other work done, they came up with the parts straight away.