96 Sti RA buget engine rebuild

Discussion in 'Projects, modifications & how to guides' started by edsel, Jan 24, 2013.

  1. gus

    gus V-Limited Member

    Location:
    whitehaven
    Before and after pics after I found mine was leaking DSCF5574.JPG DSCF5584.JPG
     
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. edsel

    edsel V-Limited Member

    Thanks Gus, fingers crossed eh.. They did a great job on your core. Who restored it? I filled the cooler with water and left it over night and it didn't leak but of course this won't show leaks like it would under 1.5 bar pressure.
    Ive had a delivery from www.viperperformance.co.uk today so hopefully will be able to crack on if Mrs Edsel doesn't get the hump with me spending another day in the garage.
    Ultimately I plan to go reversed inlet but ATM have enough fabrication on my plate. Alyn can supply all the hardware at a very reasonable price.
    The plan is to have the car in presentable condition to show at goodwood breakfast club in October the theme is Japanese cars. It may not get selected but fingers crossed :)
     
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Kev_STI

    Kev_STI V-Limited Member

    Location:
    Nottingham
    Full respect with this Steve, really shows what can be achieved in your own garage and it's a proper animal too :thumb.
     
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. gus

    gus V-Limited Member

    Location:
    whitehaven
    Hi Steve a company in London called Aaron radiators did the recore they do classic car stuff etc their service was second to none would recommend them for anything intercooler rad work period.:thumb
     
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  5. edsel

    edsel V-Limited Member

    Cheers mate, fingers crossed I won't need them but always handy to know.
     
  6. edsel

    edsel V-Limited Member

    Had another go at fitting some pipe work today, I've used as much of the old pipework as possible, it's all looking well used but experience tells me that no matter how many times I measure I'll end up with £££s worth of useless silicone joiners, clamps and pipes that don't fit anything.
    I ordered just three parts, the reducer joiners to fit the new cooler. The rest was all coming from the spare parts box.

    IMG_7241.JPG

    So... literally just offered up random Alloy tubes that I had left over from old cooler assemblies.


    IMG_7242.JPG

    And got got lucky

    IMG_7245.JPG

    Made a mark and made the cut.

    IMG_7247.JPG

    Loose fitted and looked ok so rolled the bead and clamped it all up.

    IMG_7250.JPG

    That's the easy bit done, just have to fabricate support brackets for the other side, relocate the pas pipe work and work out where the are filters gonna sit. On the plus side I guess I've removed around 4ft of pipework.
     

    Attached Files:

    • Like Like x 4

Share This Page