2.1 Engine Build

Discussion in 'Projects, modifications & how to guides' started by Motorhead, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Motorhead

Motorhead Type RA Member

Been ages since Ive managed to log onto here

My bugeye Prodrive STI developed a bit of a tendancy to jump out of 5th gear so I had the gear box rebuilt.
    It also had the standard bugeye piston slap so I've decided to have the engine rebuilt while it was there, mostly because that seemed like a half reasonable excuse to do it, I suspect the engine would have been fine for ages.
    Its now at a builder in Scotland having a 2.1 conversion with all the usual parts....Its been there since November, as the first gearbox build wasnt 100%.

Ive read the standard oil pick up is an issue? Ive read some things that say the aftermarket ones are just as likely to fail and that the standard OEM ones are fine. Should I stop worring about it? I am having a sump baffle fitted, the car will do hillclimbs and track days

2. edsel

edsel V-Limited Member

The pick up pipe is only part of the problem keeping oil in and around the pick up is the main issue. You could consider a twin scroll oil pan conversion wich has a different shape with less room for the oil to slosh around, maybe add a group n baffled twin scroll pan for good measure.
    The ultimate in oil control is a dry sump system. Alyn at @asperformance is yer maun :)

3. asperformance

asperformance Site Supporter

In general it was only the later 2.5's that suffered an issue and even then it was fairly specific MY wise.......any issues will have been long sussed or materialised

4. asperformance

Sorry should have added was talking specifically about the oil pick-up pipe

5. Motorhead

Motorhead Type RA Member

Thanks for the replies...sounds like Im ok to go with my standard bugeye pipe.

I'll consider the dry sump later...out of car cash at the minute

6. asperformance

unless its serious m/sport use then most wouldn't even consider a dry sump.............

sump baffle plate is little more than a "sticking plaster" IMO and your money would be better spent on a baffled sump of some form.......we do a few differing specs that start at not a huge amount more than the plates

7. Motorhead

Motorhead Type RA Member

Maybe something to consider later, the plate is fitted and the engine back in the car....can the sump be changed later or is itr a big deal?

Cheers

• Yoshi Yoshi x 1
  8. Motorhead

Motorhead Type RA Member

Got the car back at the weekend [​IMG]

Attached Files: